• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Pin Tool info corner

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
Since I originally posted 3 tools for sale I have had a total of 21 request. It is taking me a long time to get them all made due to tool breakdown and other problems. I've worked day and night to get them done. I have 8 more to do that are paid for , 2 are not paid for yet so if you want yours you'd better get the payment sent as I don't know what will be happening next year with my health or pricing. The price right now is still $55 to your door. Payments are Money Orders or Pay Pal to my email address (or cash @ your risk). I'll be starting the second production tuesday night after getting back from the eye doc again (2 in 1 week).
If you have problems with the tools let me know. If you want a tool let me know. If you damage it let me know , it has been known to happen (operator error) but I wont mention any name ...
wink.gif

The tool has even pushed out a pin on a snowthrower (snowblower!) shaft that could not be got out with a punch but <font size="+1"><font color="ff0000"><font face="arial,helvetica">PLEASE</font></font></font> be careful what you attempt to do with them as they can cause eye injury from possibly breaking the hardened steel pin.
<font color="0000ff"><font face="arial,helvetica"><font size="+1">Thanks to the buyers I appreciate it.</font></font></font>

Ken, a big thanks to you too for inventing and making the Pin Tool&#153;!

Kraig don't you know that lazy ppl always come up with the easy way to do things !
I seen the potential to damage the input shaft hitting it with a hammer since it and the bearings aren't designed for that kind of shock. I took out the pin in the 129 one night and later da Rev and I were on Yahoo IM and I sent him a pic of what I'd came up with to do the job and he told me I ought to start making a tool to sale for that. It's sure came a long way since the prototype ! I think I'm on v5.0 now plus the larger version that I made a few of for the MWSC puller's coupler. I may even start making them for the printing business from what I've heard ... One design fits all : driveshafts , snowthrower shafts , nickels , printing presses , I've not tried my thumb nail yet ... there's a slight chance it may even show up in a publication .... have to wait and see. If it does it'll be my second. 4:02am , breaks over !

Prototype
23927.jpg

v.4.9 (v.5.0 has lettering stamped in a jig now)
23928.jpg

MidWest Super Cub Coupler Pin Tool
23929.jpg

Die for pressing straps for MWSC coupler Pin Tool
23930.jpg

<font color="0000ff">Pin Tools ARE shipping Monday 12-20-04 weather permitting</font>
Anybody ever press fit two things together (Pin Tool "button bolt"), one inside the other (closed hole) then heat it with a torch and have it explode and shoot one out of the other like a bullet ... you don't want to ! I just had turned it from my face when it happened. I never did find the projectile I even looked in the mirror to see if it was sticking in my hard head ;)

<center><font size="+2"><font color="0000ff">ALL PIN TOOLS</font></font></center>
that I have made this fall / winter have to small of a hole to fit the "gear drive" couplers. (yeah I know , it ruined my day too ... happy birthday to me huh!)

I knew that they used a bigger hole than my hydro coupler and they do fit larger on the hydro coupler than the one I first made for myself, but they are not big enough. I just picked up the wrong drill bit and made ALL of them 1.250" when they should have been 1.375".

I will be ordering one of these to make a larger hole.

24661.jpg

I may have to make a new bottom section of the tools to accommodate the larger hole. All Pin Tools will need to be returned for the upgrade. Let me first get the cutter and we'll go from there.
You guys don't know how troubling to me this is , not just the work / mailing but the fact that I <font color="ff0000">******</font> up !

Is there anyone here with a GOOD used one to sell before I lay out almost a C-note for a new one ??

Ken - at least yer man enough to admit when ya made a mistake.
smile.gif

Hugh - I don't think anyone anywhere can ever say that I didn't treat them fair or that I cheated them. I wasn't brought up that way. My mistakes are my mistakes and everyone else's for thinking I know what I'm doing ;) I can't keep my mind on topic anymore or watch and double check things the way I use to when I did work for someone else. I like to give more than I get paid to do.

<center><font color="0000ff"><font size="+2">News Flash</font></font></center>
I've made a jig for the lathe to hold the Pin Tools for the upgraded hole size. I can't afford one of those fancy cutters and since my 4 jaw chuck is about shot I didn't see anyother way until a new brain cell sprouted this morning. Kinda makes up for all the ones I've killed.
24711.jpg

So I'm ready to re-do the Tools now !
<font size="-2">you didn't really think I was going to post a pic of my pre-Noah SB lathe and let you laugh at it did ya</font>

Okay guys here's where I'm at and the thoughts on IH's design of the gear drive coupler.
HYRDO's RULE !! as I've always said ;)

Here is a pic of "my" hydro Pin Tool, notice how well it fits the coupler. It gives better alignment and less chance of roll over.
24714.jpg

Here is the hole size that I am having to recall. Notice that it is somewhat bigger than "mine" and I thought it worked on the gear drives. (wrong again dummy)
24715.jpg

Here is the size hole required to fit the gear drives that you guys insist on owning. (why you don't have a HYDRO is beyond me)
24716.jpg

See how BIG the hole is on the hydro coupler ? I'm affraid that when you're working up over your head underneath the HYDRO's that you'll miss the pin exit hole and mess up the pin / tool or your religion.
For my part I think a "universal fits all" is a bad idea. I know some of you fence sitters can't make up your mind which cub you want to own so all I can do is make whichever type of tool you request ... HYDRO or the other or "universal".

Here's my lathe boring jig to hold the Pin Tools to make the hole bigger.
24717.jpg

I'm still going to get the cutter I posted earlier, I may get lucky and sell another tool after this mess is straightened out.

Now for my thoughts on WHY did IH make the gear drive coupler so damn big ?????
If they use a 0.625" shaft then why does the coupler equal 1.375" ? If the shaft is 5/8" and if the coupler was made @ 1.250" then the wall of the coupler would equal 5/8" which is the shaft size. Why use a coupler bigger thickness than what it is holding ?? AND my bigger HYDRO coupler Pin Tool size would work !!
I'm no injun-near but it jest don't 1+1 for me ;)

(Message edited by kweaver on January 04, 2005)

I dunno about everyone else, but I for one be for just buyin one of each and be done with, that way you have everything covered.

Put me down for one!
dizzy.gif

(Message edited by cproctor on January 04, 2005)

Ken, let's see if I got this straight, the pin tools you've recently made fit the hydro coupler just fine but are too small for a gear drive coupler? Or is it that they are slightly to big for a hydro coupler to properly fit but not big enough for a gear drive coupler? Go easy on me I have not yet finished my first cup of coffee. :eek:)

How about something like this? It's rough, but you get the idea. The tool wouldn't be completely closed on the larger size coupling , but you could tighten it down. OK, fire away.
John
24722.jpg

(Message edited by jgeorg on January 04, 2005)

Ken...I'm with Digger...I'd cough up for another one to have one of each size...
<font color="ff0000"><font size="+1">For safety this makes more sense to me.</font></font>
<font color="000000">Hopefully this would make it easier on you time-wise and work load wise</font>

One good reason why, John... is because it puts 100# of the tools clamping AND working stresses on the clamping fasteners... makes a combination of funny stress on the fasteners. By having it fit the entire radius,the faces of the front and back pieces conjoin, preventing malignment in the clamping operation, and making stresses on the clamping bolts very predictable- only tension, and very limited shear.

Using a triangular pattern, the clamping force distorts the tool, and with fine threads (for jacking the pin out), the pin WILL bind, and on the opposite side of the radius, the exit-hole (where the pin is being sent) is under substantial distortion from clamping, it's likely the pin will miss the hole, and hit the back plate. With a bit more metal, it might be possible to make all that work, but it won't work as nicely as Ken's current design. The tool's gotta fit in the NF's driveline tunnel...

Thanks Dave, that all makes sense. Especially if the coupling would be slightly tapered. More steel, bigger pins, Oh, you mean it's got to fit?????
uhoh.gif

John

Kraig you can use the one you've got on your hydros, but it wont fit the gear drive coupler.

John has agreed to buy the first square holed tool, he says they'll sell like hot cakes , or at least that's what he said in his email the 29th of last month. Of course he knows that taking time to setup 2 separate pieces in the mill and to measure the exact location of the cuts will add at least an hour to the work since they will be milled instead of drilled but he doesn't mind spending the $125 price. He also doesn't mind that his little couplers or shafts will roll over and bend the pins over when the tool puts it's brute force against it. Now I suppose that all of the previous tools sold will be thrown away and everyone will run out and buy the "hot cakes", I mean there's no need in fixing the previous problem now that John has seen the future and has the answer. Let me just look over my buyers list and see how many tools John bought ... funny he's not on the list. That must be why he can sit back and mutilate pictures of my tool and not worry about the problem at hand of keeping my satisfied customers satisfied and my product doing the job that it was designed to do , make working on our cubs easier so that things will get fixed when needed. IF John had bought a PT then he'd have the directions to read which says to make sure the roll pin enters both holes when putting the tool together. (That's why I don't like the big hole for the hydro) and his round peg in a square hole would put the pin hole to far from the roll pin to enter. I guess the pin could scrape and gouge it's way down to the exit hole but that's the China tools NOT my tools ! There's already been one mishap with a pin not lined up with the hole and it twisted the push pin and the roll pin tried pushing it's way through 5/16" of steel.

I've had this typed since John's post first appeared ... it's been edited 3 times ... Bryan aren't you glad I calmed down ... ;)

Digger you don't need another tool , ya already got 2 ! I know what yer up to and it aint gonna work ... hoarding'em up and waiting fer me to kick da bucket then auction them on epay as the last remaining tools. ;)

Damn I wish I knew what Dave said ... ;)

Drawn to scale / prints at actual size. (my machine anyway)
Red = My PT
Black = John's version
24745.gif

Calm down Ken.
happy.gif
Hope you got some sleep last night. Sorry if I got you all wound up. It was just an idea. You never responded so I wasn't sure you got my email. Dave explained the details and I see why my idea wouldn't work as well. No big deal here.
John

John G.
What ya gotta understand here is that the Grumpy Ole bastage from Kentucky is the resident A$$hole here with me runnin a close second!!!!!!!
clappy.gif

BTW, He would bitch if ya hung him with a new rope!

You damn straight !
As I have so many times told the ol lady , "New ropes don't break!"

Latest posts

Back