• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Peco lawn vac

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh sure, I can see that. I thought the fender and overall shape looked like that of a cub, but the color and heat shield threw me off.

You stated that the impeller on your unit had been welded. if I did not know for sure that it had been re-balanced after welding it would be in the junk pile and a new one installed. Why take the chance of it coming apart at 3600 RPMs?

You stated that the impeller on your unit had been welded. if I did not know for sure that it had been re-balanced after welding it would be in the junk pile and a new one installed. Why take the chance of it coming apart at 3600 RPMs?

Good point. More motivation to spend the $$ on a new impeller, since Peco said they could get me one.

My Peco has the 3 hp. Briggs. My lawnmower repair guy. Has one also. He said that paddle fan that spins puts a lot of stress on a 3 hp. Briggs. Of course that takes years. But they sell a 5 hp. Briggs (Made in China) for under $200.
He says you just have to replace that big square exhaust. With a Hostess Ho Ho. size exhaust. I think i may buy one over the winter. My 3 hp has compression. But it’s 40 yrs old. Having trouble getting it to start.

I got to put the Peco Vac to work this fall!

I did not get a new impeller, after inspecting mine it seems to have solid welds (though they are a bit ugly), and it seems pretty well balanced. I cautiously let it run for a while and fed some chunks of sloppy wet leaves through and it held solid.

I ran it on about 1/2 my property with my 107 and mower deck and it did pretty good, but the weight of the aluminum boot and hose on the mower deck had it tilting to the right so bad that I couldn't pick up a full pass without scalping with the right-most blade. I blew the rest of my leaves into piles and just fed them directly into the hose, which worked pretty great.

PXL_20201020_144209104.jpg

Between the thatch I removed and the leaf clippings, I've got quite the compost pile now, and despite not having added any kitchen scraps, the local deer have been checking it out.

DSC_2522 (1).JPG

I'm not sure the compose pile will stay active throughout our MN winter, but I am keeping an eye on the temperature, and might throw some straw over it since I have some hay bales. I was going to get a compost thermometer, but I had some temperature sensing stuff laying around, so put together a little microcontroller to check for temperature via a probe in the pile, and post back to a service (Datadog) where I can monitor it.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 10.44.31 AM.png

I do appreciate the advice, and I was definitely apprehensive and very cautious while using the vac. Ultimately I took the risk and am fortunate that nothing went wrong.

I will most likely order a new impeller for next year, as well as some longer lengths of hose to allow this to be used on a trailer for larger capacity. I'll need to figure out the mower deck leveling issue as well, the immediate thought is to put a counter weight on the other side of the deck.

I could (should) also adjust the bogey wheels on the deck as well, I actually had completely removed them as they were in the way of the mower boot in the position that I initially mounted the deck, but later changed.

I am using my 42" stamped end deck for this, and I don't plan to use it for anything else since I have a cast end deck that I would mow with, so I don't mind making modifications to the deck. It's in sound mechanical shape, but certainly rough around the edges so I don't mind dedicating it to the leaf vac.

Great shot of that deer! @john.knutson

One of these leaf baggers popped up on Craigs not too far from me (in Wisconsin) that looks very similar to your Peco.

What size/kind of deck do you have on that 102? Curious about fit -- whether an adapter is needed from the deck. I have a 42" with my 127.

Hey Give that Guy with the Eye Glass's a Cigar pictured in the assembly instructions and he could pass for Grumpy Jenkens

Just refurbished a trailer type this summer and this fall proved their worth.It has an older Tec motor maybe 5 hp and it does a super job of cleanup.It is an older Peco with an angle box.My issue with trailer type is tongue weight. I cut off straight tongue made a v shape mounted on pins to swivel up and down then added a heavy duty swivel wheel (like a bushhog has) in the front of frame. No problem hooking or unhooking and it follows just fine...

Consider this was a rush job.so welds aren't perfect but function was great...It is as simple as it looks...One inch round stock was used for pins.....The point is no more grunting to lift the tongue while already on your knees trying to hook it to mower. Actually I'm surprised mfg didn't do this...

Attachments

• 100_1332.JPG
    100_1332.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 100_1333.JPG
    100_1333.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 307
Back