• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Paul F's 482 questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pfrederick

I am working on my neighbors recently aquired 482. It was near the end if IH production and had the 11 HP B&S engine. We got parts and Service manuals for the tractor but all they show are IH part #s. I need to find a carb overhaul kit but to find B&S parts you need engine model and type number. All I can find is an engine serial number. Does any one know what model and type motor this is???

Thank you
Paul f

I had seen the B&S site but neither my neighbor or I can see any numbers in the horizontal shaft locations (unless they are hidden behind t screen and sheetmetal...hope I don't have to pull the engine to find the number. All we can see is a label that says 11hp at 3600 rpm syncro balanced and a serial number on the top shroud.

(Message edited by pfrederick on December 07, 2005)

Paul F,

The carburetor overhaul kit that is needed for the 482 is number 24 in the diagram. It says that it consits of the gaskets, valves, and jet screws. It has a part number of BS-393544. If you need the float it is number 17 and has a part number of BS-299707. They are not cheap though. The repair kit will run you around $44.17 and the float assembly will run you around $7.65. Hope this helps.
32799.gif

Kevin: Thank you so much for the info. We had the parts manual page but not the B&S #s. How did you accomplish the part number conversion??
I have figured out ways of converting old Wheel Horse and Kohler Numbers to new but haven't broken the code on this IH/B&S stuff yet.

Fortunetly we don't need the float...I am getting pretty good a resoldering old floats (2 50+ year old Case tractors and a M37 from 1952 have given me lots of practice.)
Thanks again
Paul f

Paul F. -

When I got home I found the same information that Kevin did in section D of the Cub Cadet TC-197 parts manual.

Since the 482 is a belt-drive lawn tractor (not a direct-driven garden tractor like the other Cub Cadets) it's technically considered off-topic here.

Consensus -

Whatcha think? Should we open a separate topic for discussion of the lawn tractor side of things? This 482, the 86, (gasp) even the dreaded 1100...

Paul,

I dont think that there is really a code to crack, Like Bryan said, you just have to have the right stuff to look at
happy.gif

Bryan,
I can't see a downside of starting a new topic for lawn tractors. Just my $.02

(Message edited by kduffy on December 07, 2005)

I am not a fan of the belt drive tractors either, but did have great luck with my dreaded 1100 for over 3 years.It had sat in a barn for over 10 years and when I added freash started right up. Defiantly not the best there is but better then most other brands out there now. Mowed 3 arces, hauled logs and pushed snow great until it started having carb. troubles I ended up trading a dead red tractor for a nice 1200 with a snow blower. Would have fixed the 1100 if I had more time.

Back