• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Parts Washer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnicklas

displayname
John Nicklas
Looking for a little group input. Last spring before my brother passed away, he gave me a parts washer, and this is the 10 gal Harbor Freight style. He was using kerosene to clean parts for his home built VW trikes. I have just rearranged my shop and am ready to start using it. I would like your thought on what cleaning fluid to use. As I said he used Kerosene, I also have suggestion on using mineral spirits or diesel fuel. Looking at cost Diesel is a little over $2.00 a gal. Last I looked kerosene was around $5.00 a gal and mineral spirits is around $10.00 a gal. So what do you use for your parts cleaning? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Don't forget, if you can find it, you can use red (non taxed) diesel. At Circle K here there is about 30 cents a gallon different.

So what's wrong with using Kerosene in it now?
That's all I've used for years.
thumbsup.gif

I've used diesel & kerosene and they work fine, Mineral spirits I like better but the costcan be prohibitive. This winter after a full cleanout, I tried something called Purple Power, diluted 5 to one with water, I really like it. No fuely fumes to give me a headache(s)... and it cleans really well.

I went to Advance and bought 5 gallon of Parts Cleaner @ $98.
It's dead now and I need to change it.

If you guys remember when I rebuilt my air compressor I used Super Clean to clean the tank and straight out of the jug it took the paint off the tank. I use that stuff for everything.
It smells like it has lye in it but it doesn't mention it on the label.
I just tore down a horizontal milling machine I bought of egreed and the parts cleaner wouldn't clean off the crap after it sat in it for 3 days. I cleaned it off as clean as new castings in a few minutes with Super Clean.

... and it's non-flammable !! just don't get it on your hands straight out of the jug.

I use a solvent called 325 from Chevron. It is similar to Stoddard or mineral spirits but a bit cheaper at $8/gal. My tank has a pump & filter that really extends the life for years. Check around for a bulk fuel and oil distributor, they will probably have what you need.

Varsol which is about the same as paint thinner is a good cleaner for parts washer use but is a little pricey. Last I bought was 6.00 per gallon. Exxon dealers usually have it in bulk. People used to use it for dry cleaning non washable wool coats ect.

I work on lawn mowers now and then and I always dump the gas in an old but usable 5 gal gas jug. I call it my sh*t gas and it's what I use for cleaning greasy parts. I have an old wok pan I use along with a parts cleaning brush. Works great! Of course, any large parts like cub frames get the pressure washer.

I bought a parts cleaner, installed a pump, filled it with paint thinner, and used it every now and then. It's now out beside the barn not being used at all. I guess quantity of parts plays a part in necessity here.

Anyway, if you only have a few parts every now and then old gas works well and, at that point, is free.

Back