• If you're having trouble logging into your account , you can Reset Password
Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Parts Washer

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

jnicklas

displayname
John Nicklas
Looking for a little group input. Last spring before my brother passed away, he gave me a parts washer, and this is the 10 gal Harbor Freight style. He was using kerosene to clean parts for his home built VW trikes. I have just rearranged my shop and am ready to start using it. I would like your thought on what cleaning fluid to use. As I said he used Kerosene, I also have suggestion on using mineral spirits or diesel fuel. Looking at cost Diesel is a little over $2.00 a gal. Last I looked kerosene was around $5.00 a gal and mineral spirits is around $10.00 a gal. So what do you use for your parts cleaning? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

snicklas

displayname
Scott Nicklas
Don't forget, if you can find it, you can use red (non taxed) diesel. At Circle K here there is about 30 cents a gallon different.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
So what's wrong with using Kerosene in it now?
That's all I've used for years.
thumbsup.gif

mfrade

displayname
Mike Frade
I've used diesel & kerosene and they work fine, Mineral spirits I like better but the costcan be prohibitive. This winter after a full cleanout, I tried something called Purple Power, diluted 5 to one with water, I really like it. No fuely fumes to give me a headache(s)... and it cleans really well.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
I went to Advance and bought 5 gallon of Parts Cleaner @ $98.
It's dead now and I need to change it.

If you guys remember when I rebuilt my air compressor I used Super Clean to clean the tank and straight out of the jug it took the paint off the tank. I use that stuff for everything.
It smells like it has lye in it but it doesn't mention it on the label.
I just tore down a horizontal milling machine I bought of egreed and the parts cleaner wouldn't clean off the crap after it sat in it for 3 days. I cleaned it off as clean as new castings in a few minutes with Super Clean.

... and it's non-flammable !! just don't get it on your hands straight out of the jug.

griutzel

displayname
Greg Riutzel
I use a solvent called 325 from Chevron. It is similar to Stoddard or mineral spirits but a bit cheaper at $8/gal. My tank has a pump & filter that really extends the life for years. Check around for a bulk fuel and oil distributor, they will probably have what you need.

lhinds

displayname
Luther Ray Hinds
Varsol which is about the same as paint thinner is a good cleaner for parts washer use but is a little pricey. Last I bought was 6.00 per gallon. Exxon dealers usually have it in bulk. People used to use it for dry cleaning non washable wool coats ect.

snicklas

displayname
Scott Nicklas
I'm not 100% sure, but I think he is using diesel. A neighbor has a bulk tank and I think he bought some from him.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
I work on lawn mowers now and then and I always dump the gas in an old but usable 5 gal gas jug. I call it my sh*t gas and it's what I use for cleaning greasy parts. I have an old wok pan I use along with a parts cleaning brush. Works great! Of course, any large parts like cub frames get the pressure washer.

I bought a parts cleaner, installed a pump, filled it with paint thinner, and used it every now and then. It's now out beside the barn not being used at all. I guess quantity of parts plays a part in necessity here.

Anyway, if you only have a few parts every now and then old gas works well and, at that point, is free.