• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Papa's Original

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imnaykid

Greetings everyone,

So here is an update. I still want to get Papa's original (9539) running. Mr, Houtz is the only shop to ever work on it. Last time I was at his shop he told me it needed a short block and it wasn't worth fixing. He has retired (well earned) as have I. So now I have time to work on the machine. I am a retired Paramedic (20 years) and Retired Emergency Management Agency Chief (38 years). I am not a gearhead.

So after calling around I found a new shortblock for the K-161. It had just been installed on a CC-71. I got the entire (running) machine for less then $300.00. I have been using it around the property until I have time to start taking both machines apart and get my CC-O running.

Sparkplug flew out of the CC-71 last week, had a coil insert on it. Bought new insert and plug, blue locktight and back together. started right up 24 hours later and ran for 5-10 minutes before the plug and coil insert flew out. More blue locktight, re-assemble, 24 hours wait, ran 5 minutes, flew out again. So, re-assemble with red locktight, wait 24 hours, flew out in 5 minutes.

So I think it is time to do the teardown of both K-161's and get the original running.

Any suggestions for a guy willing to try to do something he knows nothing about?

Thanks from Northern Illinois

What is the head like on the O engine and does it look the same as the 71 engine?... If so clean it up and use it.. As for help you came to the right place.. There are many here willing to help and have a wealth of knowledge...

Thank you Yes the head looks the same. Mr. Houtz removed the head from the CC-O and found that the valves move but the piston does not. That is as far as he went when he called me to pick it up.
With a new gasket I could put the head on the CC-71. But my goal is getting the CC-O operating. Is now the time to just swap heads and get the CC-71 running or swap all the parts needed to get the CC-O running?

Both machines are now outside but I could bring them in and park them side by side and do a tear down. I just dont know where to start and stop

I would take the head off and see for yourself if the piston moves.. And if it does not remove the oil pan and see why.. Either way you will need to remove the engine from the tractor..

I like that short block you found...with a 71 attached! Good find. I may have to use that technique for the rear lift I need.

Again, Thanks.
On the CC-O. Yes, the valves do move up and down and the piston does not. Mr. Houtz was right. The fuel tank and head are off.
On the CC-71. The Helicoil did not hold with blue or red locktight. The parts guy just said run it in, well that didn't work. Can the head be re-tapped while on the engine? I don't want to change heads now, I wanted the engine swap to be an after mowing season project.

What I have done in the past to fix blown out sparkplug threads in one of those small Kohlers was to thread the hole to a slightly larger pipe thread, 3/8" pipe, I think, then drill and tap a 1/4 x 3/8 reducer bushing to M14 x 1.25 thread for the sparkplug and screw it in the hole. (You don't lose much compression doing this. and most of my Cubs are toys anyway.)

Loctite doesn't work well in that application because the heat from the combustion chamber is high enough to break the bond.

There's a better thread repair called a Time-Sert. The kit comes with a special size drill and tap. You thread the insert in, then run the special mandrel in, which expands the insert, locking it in place. They're not cheap for the full kit, though. Most automotive machine shops should be able to put one in for you.

And also 7/8" straight thread and the simple 1/2" pipe thread are still in production. The thread repair tools tend to make reliable repairs so that the correct plug will work fine.

Back