• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Paint Sprayer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnajecki

displayname
Roy Najecki
On the forum I recently wrote that I just repainted my 682 with rattle cans. I would like to improve my paint jobs (and use hardener) and get a decent paint sprayer. I do have a 30 gallon air compressor, pressure regulator, water separator, etc..

One reply suggested a $20 sprayer from Harbor Freight, but I'll be putting hours into this and future projects, so I figure I should invest in a decent sprayer. I'm guessing $150 would enough to buy a decent sprayer that will last for years. I'm a virgin when it comes to paint sprayers, but I know I want one that is easy to use, clean, and gives good results. I realize good results will come with practice, but good results can't be achieved with poor equipment.

So please let me know which features I should look for, and what brand/model you think would be best.

Thanks,
Roy Najecki

Roy:
I bought a gravity feed HVLP gun at Sears a few years ago that is made by Devilbiss for about $110.00. It uses a plastic pouch inside of the cup (ziplock bag with a plastic ferule in the bottom that seals to a nipple inside the cup). This makes cleanup really easy, as you take the empty bag out and pitch it - I bought extra Devilbiss bags at our local painters supply. The benefit of HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) is much less overspray, which leads to big savings in paint.. I've got a collection of guns including my trusty old JGA and a high dollar Accuspray , but I pick up the Sears for everyday jobs... (actually, since I like flat finishes (aka "suede"), I could probably get by with a flysprayer
clappy.gif
)

ROY - To add to what Kendell said, I would get a dedicated coalescing filter/regulator if you plan on painting a lot, also dedicated hose as well. I also run a small disposable dessicate filter right at the air inlet on all my refinishing equipment. Nothing spoils a paint job faster than water or oil in the compressor system.

Also, Kendell's suggestion of a gravity feed gun is great. I have about 3-4 old syphon feed guns Dad gave Me. One's even a REAL good DeVilbiss, and I can't afford to use them anymore. Very poor transfer efficiency, lots of overspray, and takes a gallon of solvent/thinner to clean them, not to mention a LOT of time to do it correctly.

I like my Binks #7 but it wouldn't fit his $150 range , not even when I bought it 24 years ago.

I need to get a HVLP jam gun as I can't hold the Binks very long 'cause my hand cramps up from the weight. I can't even use a spray can without changing fingers on the button !!
Die young ... less pain !

KENtucky, seeing that you can no longer hold up that Binks, feel free to ship it to me, shoot I'll even pay for the shipping.
happy.gif

Regarding rattle can buttons, get one of these.

189301.jpg

I sold a good Stihl chainsaw because it got to much for me to hold.
bash.gif

Now I've got a light crapsman that the chain jumps off of everytime it touches wood !
bash.gif
bash.gif

I've thought about getting one of those attachments but I've not seen one at the store when I was buying paint. Out of sight out of mind ...

KENtucky, next time I'm at the hardware store, I'll pick up one of those paint can sprayer handles to send to you. It'll sweeten the pot for you to eventually send me that Binks.
happy.gif

That Craftsman sounds like a Tree Hugger Edition, environmentally friendly chainsaw.
lol.gif

Kraig - I don't need $214 <font size="-2">(1986 price)</font> worth of those poor man's sprayer attachments. You just wish you had a good Binks #7
buttrock.gif

KENtucky, I was thinking ONE of those rattle can handles. ~$5.00 or so with shipping.
proud.gif

It's also interesting to figure out what each mfr's definition of HVLP is.. My Accuspray being my "gold standard" (and just the gun was $400, so I think it may be gold), I can compare it to a Binks that was supposed to be HVLP but creates just about as much overspray as the old JGA. I believe there are now EPA standards that measure pressure and volume at the nozzle, (yeah, more tools to buy - not)...

Back