• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Paint removal method for painted identification plate

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin Wilson

Hi all,

I just bought a 1250 and the previous owner painted the mower deck black, and also painted over the made in usa identification plate. I tried paint thinner to no avail. Does anyone have a good idea for eating away the black paint? Thanks.

Attachments

• mowerdeck.jpg
    mowerdeck.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 4
What's the goal here going to be?
Restore and repaint to white?
If so, a trip to someone that can sandblast it after it has been completely dis-assembled of course.
Just remove the aluminum model tag first, assuming it's still there, probably fastened with rivets.
The decals are all available so should not be an issue.

Hi all,

I just bought a 1250 and the previous owner painted the mower deck black, and also painted over the made in usa identification plate. I tried paint thinner to no avail. Does anyone have a good idea for eating away the black paint? Thanks.
I have had good luck by putting the id plate in a small pan of boiling water.

Without knowing what paint you are trying to remove, it is difficult to suggest what to use.

It is likely that you'll not remove that paint without removing the paint markings on the tag as well. The paint (ink?) for that dissolves pretty readily.

Yes, that happened. I used MEK and it removed ALL the paint/ink from the mower id plate. ANny idea where I could find a replacement, or decal?

For many different ink-printed ID plates, I have used water-slide decal paper that fits into a regular ink-jet printer.
I scan and clean up an original plate, picture, or whatever it takes. Then, print it out.
Afterwards, I spray with 2-3 VERY LIGHT coats of clear (spray can) with the last coat slightly heavier.
Works very well, and lasts several years (on show cars)... even with moderate use.

Back