• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Original to 70

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsdeese

displayname
timothy deese
What all has to be changed to use an engine off of an original to put on a 70?

Tim,
If you have them both you can pretty much see the difference.
S/G pulley swap.
Air cleaner.
Oil pan, so it drains out the bottom. A Original sits on top of the frame, a 70 between the frame rails. Unless you can extend the dipstick and the oil drain plug it will be hard to check the oil.

That is all I can think of...

Tim,
Did a little checking and found out an O engine will work on a 70. The only major difference is the O oil drain is on the side, and the 70 oil drain is on the bottom.
You would have to drill a hole in the side of the 70 frame and run a nipple out to the side.
Both dipsticks are the same height.
With all pulleys, baskets, pto, and the carbs off, both are identical motors except for the oil drain.
Here's some pics of both motors. It's hard to tell from all the grime, but they are the same.

DSCF0673.JPG compare2.JPG

DSCF0674.JPG compare3.JPG

As for the pulley on the S/G, they are just a little different.
As Lew mentioned, the S/G pulley on the O engine does not have a basket for the pto. You could use the O pulley, but you could not have a pto on the front.
In short, if you have the pulleys, basket, and pto off of a 70, they will fit on the O engine.

Original S/G pulley:

DSCF0678.JPG compare pulley.JPG

70 S/G pulley along with some dust:

DSCF0676.JPG compare pulley 1.JPG

I dunno Marty that is prolly a replacement with the dipstick coming out of the top. Here are the 2 O's I have and they have theirs coming out of the pan... Theses are both pull start motors but my e start has the same type of pan. What type do you have Tim?

DSC02848.JPG
DSC02849.JPG

Lewis,
You may be on to something. I checked my O's, and I have two with the "top" dipstick, and three with the "pan" dipstick. All have the side oil plug.
You could still get to the pan dipstick if it was on a 70, it would just be a little difficult with it under the S/G.
I thought one of my "pan" dipstick motors was a newer replacement. Now I don't know. :drool2:

Kraig,
Got any O motor pics/ads?

Last edited:
You think IH may have started producing the "top" dipstick in 63' when they transitioned to the 70/100 series like they did other parts during the changeover years? Kind of like the steering wheel transition from the 70/100's to the next series cubs.

I do not know, maybe someone might have one from the end of production and let us know what they have on theirs.

According to the operator's manual, the engine came with the dipstick in the pan, not sure if they changed this in later production or not.

Screenshot 2021-06-05 21.55.24.png
Screenshot 2021-06-05 21.54.53.png

All the brochures and fliers that I have show it as having the dip stick low on the block like Lewis posted. I will have to do some deep digging to see what I can find. My Original has a replacement engine and has the top mounted dip stick.

Back