• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Original deck question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it is possible to mount an original deck on a 70/100 as I've seen a picture or two but unsure if the mounting brackets are all the same. I'm sure some of the other experts will chime in.

I know it is possible to mount an original deck on a 70/100 as I've seen a picture or two but unsure if the mounting brackets are all the same. I'm sure some of the other experts will chime in.

Thanks for your reply! Hopefully others will chime in also.

I'm not certain, but I believe there were 2 different deck styles used on the Original over its production. The early style, which is the one I have for my O, is a 2-spindle timed mower deck. The blades have to be held at a specific position with a timing belt so that they don't crash into each other. There is no PTO mounted on the engine, rather just a pulley. The PTO is a sliding plate with a pulley stack on it, mounted directly to the mower deck. When engaged, the pulley stack slides out and puts tension on a regular drive belt, driving one of the spindles. power is then transmitted to the other spindle VIA the timing belt. This deck has its own specific mounting setup for the Original, and probably wouldn't fit onto a 70/100 without some modifications.

However, I think, in the later Originals, they had the option to come with a mechanical engine-mounted PTO and a Cast-end 38" 3-spindle deck. This deck is NOT timed, there is no need to align blades with a timing belt and it is therefore much simpler. It is the exact same style deck used on the 70/100 tractors, and I believe it would work with a 70/100 without much modification (if any).

Hopefully someone will better verify this, I don't remember exactly where I read this from.

Edit: here's a photo of the 3-spindle deck on an O. Perhaps this helps to verify:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not certain, but I believe there were 2 different deck styles used on the Original over its production. The early style, which is the one I have for my O, is a 2-spindle timed mower deck. The blades have to be held at a specific position with a timing belt so that they don't crash into each other. There is no PTO mounted on the engine, rather just a pulley. The PTO is a sliding plate with a pulley stack on it, mounted directly to the mower deck. When engaged, the pulley stack slides out and puts tension on a regular drive belt, driving one of the spindles. power is then transmitted to the other spindle VIA the timing belt. This deck has its own specific mounting setup for the Original, and probably wouldn't fit onto a 70/100 without some modifications.

However, I think, in the later Originals, they had the option to come with a mechanical engine-mounted PTO and a Cast-end 38" 3-spindle deck. This deck is NOT timed, there is no need to align blades with a timing belt and it is therefore much simpler. It is the exact same style deck used on the 70/100 tractors, and I believe it would work with a 70/100 without much modification (if any).

Hopefully someone will better verify this, I don't remember exactly where I read this from.

Edit: here's a photo of the 3-spindle deck on an O. Perhaps this helps to verify:
View attachment 142959
Thanks for your reply!

There was an adapter kit to mount the original timed deck onto the 70. This was not recommended for the 100 I believe due to the additional hp.

IH_Conversion_Pkg_02.jpg

I don't believe that the Original ever included the engine mounted PTO as standard, it was available as an option however.

477201_1.jpg

477201_2.jpg

Wow - that engagement lever is a real knee knocker. Wonder why IH made it almost come to a point like that?

The lift arm would block you from hitting it with your knee. But I agree, not the best design for a lever/handle.

The hanger frame from the 106 will not go on the original deck without new hardware and brackets. I do not have the original hanger frame so I can not say if you mixed and matched from both mule drives less parts would be needed

Back