• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Original cub - main frame to reduction gear case

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Hensley

Thought I read somewhere that there is/was a reinforcement kit for this connection.

The frame was previously “repaired” with braze at this connection point.

Ive got it apart and working on cleaning up that “repair”

Almost done with that process and will add reinforcement to make it sound again.

Just curious if anyone knows what the kit consisted of.

That way I can reproduce that to make it as OEM as possible without purchasing another frame.

Not trying to make a show piece, mainly just want to save this one from the scrap yard.

Attached is one of the many crack repairs I’ve started on.

Attachments

• 2C664534-7A5E-4BC2-8390-89DD7CDDD7C9.jpeg
    2C664534-7A5E-4BC2-8390-89DD7CDDD7C9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 06B8E560-3FAE-45FD-9A3E-988B368856D3.jpeg
    06B8E560-3FAE-45FD-9A3E-988B368856D3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
On a positive note, I also had an issue with the transmission. Reverse and 1st gear would not hold in gear, or in neutral positions.

When I removed the reduction gear case, I found the detent ball for the shifter rail down in the sump.

Was able to remove that shift rail, put the detent ball back above the spring and reinstall that shifter rail. Luckily did not have to totally tear down the trans and differential to make that repair.

Guessing someone had this thing apart and lost that ball in the abyss.

That thing must have seen some fairly serious abuse.
Must have. Just wish I would have noticed how rough this machine really was when before I bought it. I knew it was rough, but not this rough.

The front spindles were worn real bad, rims too, the piston cylinder was tapered, and out of tolerance - thats at the machine shop now. The main steering link from the column to the spindle was bent, the rear axle outer bushings were basically gone, the main seals were both leaking, and there were many weird modifications made to fit a different mowing deck onto the tractor. Think if I knew then what I know now about the Originals, I would have passed on this one. But, its found able hands that will breath new life into it.

Live and learn I guess. But I just got so excited about it being an original.

Luckily I was able to find the axle bushings and seals, and I have the skills required to bring it back to some level of reliable functionality.

Must have. Just wish I would have noticed how rough this machine really was when before I bought it. I knew it was rough, but not this rough.

The front spindles were worn real bad, rims too, the piston cylinder was tapered, and out of tolerance - thats at the machine shop now. The main steering link from the column to the spindle was bent, the rear axle outer bushings were basically gone, the main seals were both leaking, and there were many weird modifications made to fit a different mowing deck onto the tractor. Think if I knew then what I know now about the Originals, I would have passed on this one. But, its found able hands that will breath new life into it.

Live and learn I guess. But I just got so excited about it being an original.

Luckily I was able to find the axle bushings and seals, and I have the skills required to bring it back to some level of reliable functionality.

I kind of got suckered on a 1450, first cub I bought....................It was at an auction where there was several cubs, real good looking, been shedded all its life, as good a looking one as could be found. When they got to it, they fired it up, started and ran it for just a few seconds. I got the bid. Later went to load it and if you let it run for more than a few seconds it started smoking like it was on fire.

I got it home and started tearing into it, cylinder was a disaster. I put the Sunnen hone to it and figured it would have to go to .030 to ever clean up. But just as I was getting to .020, it cleaned up. It wasn't much of a bargain, but I could do all the work, so it wasn't too bad.

I almost bought one of those rigid hones recently to over bore this motor. But ended up finding a local shop to do it. Would have to have 4 motors bored out to cover the cost of the tool which I may buy anyways, just not now.

Machine tools sized for around the house have really seem to have sky rocketed lately when you can find them at all.

Ironically just about anything you can make or fix with them has plummeted.

Forum member Mike Masheris was making parts that you would weld on to reinforce the frame. I will post photos of the installed parts this evening.

Here are some photos of the frame repair kit, that Mike was making, installed on an Original frame. There are reinforcing pieces that weld inside the frame over the lower mounting holes. Also a length of keystock welded inside the frame.

O_FRAME_FIX_1.jpg

Another reinforcing piece is welded onto the front of the upper tab.

O_FRAME_FIX_2.jpg

O_FRAME_FIX_3.jpg

O_FRAME_FIX_4.jpg

As I recall, anything Mike was making was first class, and useful.

Back