• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Opinions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PACub100

IHCC Supporter
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about changing the pulley on my mower deck to increase the speed of the blades. Now that the season is coming to an end, I'm preparing to swap the deck for the QA42 snow thrower.
I don't want to be surprised when the snow falls so I'm thinking ahead and trying to figure out a safe way of increasing the speed of the auger (let's face it, single stage throwers have their limitations).
So which would be the most practical?

1) swap the drive pulley for a smaller diameter?
2) swap the chain sprocket at the end of the driveshaft for a larger diameter?
3) swap the PTO for a larger diameter?
(This would kill two birds with one stone - increasing both thrower and mower deck speeds)

My concern is the added velocity within the gearbox and the U-joints on the driveshaft. I don't know if it's really a concern but I don't want to ruin a good machine... which leaves the sprocket swap the only option for the thrower.

I'm curious what everyone has done and how it has worked for you.

I put a speed up pulley on my snowthrower too.. But I also totally rebuilt the gearbox and replaced all the chains,bearings and gears as you are asking this thing to do more than it was designed for so everything better be 100%.. It can throw 20 feet now..

I put a speed up pulley on my snowthrower too.. But I also totally rebuilt the gearbox and replaced all the chains,bearings and gears as you are asking this thing to do more than it was designed for so everything better be 100%.. It can throw 20 feet now..
Did you upgrade or replace with new stock items? The thrower I got was a barn find and looks like it was only used a handful of times...
IMG_20201025_131231.jpg
IMG_20201025_131221.jpg

Several years ago I simply replaced the drive pulley on thrower . I don't remember for sure but I believe
I went from a 4 inch to a 3 1/2 inch. You probably will need a shorter belt, too. It really does make a difference. I could throw snow into my neighbors driveway. (I didn't, but could)

What my concern was, if I'd damage the gearbox or the U-joints. Changing the pulley on the thrower would be a heck of a lot simpler.
If you guys have not had any issues, I'll be getting a pulley and belt off you Charlie 👍👍

My snowthrower came well used so I rebuilt everything as I did not know it's background.. If you think yours had very little use then use your own judgement., Like Charlie indicated make shure you use a cast pulley

I too changed to a smaller pulley on my QA 42 more than a few years ago. The gear box needed work anyway, so it got new bearings, and shafts. If I remember right, I changed from a 3.5" to a 3" pulley. It did make a difference. A year or two ago I added rubber flaps to close up the gaps at the center of the auger. I don't remember what they are called but, they are the flat scoops that do the snow throwing. I believe that was the biggest improvement in snow throwing. Even heavy wet snow doesn't clog the chute anymore. I also painted the chute with graphite paint. One other thing I do after every use is oil the chain with chain lube.

Don't forget to clean up any rust that's in the discharge chute and then coat it with graphite paint. If you try this first you may decide you don't need the speed up pulley. Here's my 125 with a QA42 with a stock pulley but with no rust in the auger housing or discharge chute and those areas coated with graphite paint. This was about 6" of wet March snow.

5195.jpg
5196.jpg
5197.jpg

Dave, there are a couple of brands. Look for Slip-Plate or EZ Slide.

Never mind, answered my own question. (Slip-Plate) Should have just searched the forums in the first place. (brain fart)

Thanks,
Dave

What are you buying? NAPA used to be 100% quality. Now, like every other auto store has degrees of parts. From crap to good old NAPA quality

Tractor Supply has it... It's called E Z Slide.. Also works well keeping grass clippings from sticking to your mower deck...
E Z Slide lasts about 5 minutes inside a mower deck, Bedliner spray lasts all season. :)

Back