• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

On the soapbox again

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$3.80+ a gallon here in Western Oregon. Unless everyone stays home this summer and demand drops precipitously, I'm sure that a gallon of gas will take nearly all of a five dollar bill before school starts.

$3.79.9 this afternoon in Ames and Nevada, Iowa.

I post this with much thought going on right now. I remember almost two August or so ago when someone asked the question, "Just how high would gas have to go before members would start cutting back?" If I recall correctly a couple said around $4.00/gallon. Yet, even before it has reached that magical number there are so many that have cut back already. For what I stated also back then was that if fuels would rise in price so would everything else.

Yes, what Steve T. has posted about ethanol production is not affecting food prices is partially true. While some try and blame Ethanol and Biodiesel and whatever other flavor they find suitable we must remember one thing. Did we as consumers demand years ago when in the 1970s and there were long gas lines that our automobile manufacturers build more fuel efficient vehicles? Or did we enjoy the ride when these same manufacturers kept giving us what they thought we needed... and we so gleefully bought from them.

Doesn't seem very laughable does it when we think of how people still bought from International Harvester when IH did basically the same thing... they gave the customer what IH thought was best for the customer and not what the customer wanted or truly needed.

Oh, well... off to bed. Visit with y'all another time.

$4.12 today in central Michigan for 87 octane...Interesting to note that the analysts say that if we cut back consumption, prices will rise also....or newly devloping countries will soak up what we don't use...

$3.95 a gallon in Greensboro, MD. Yet, another reason for me to buy a tube for my bicycle tire. I guess I can get up 10 minutes early to brave my commute to work, a whole 9/10's of a mile one way!

Gas was 3.67 here wednesday. 3.89 Thursday and 3.79 this morning. I would buy a horse but hay is 5.50 a bale.

Food prices here are rising about as much as gasoline.
Luther

Cheapest price here in the KaZoo is 3.99
coffee.gif

And get this Diesel. 4.89
rant.gif
...... I'm thinking home brew diesel.
chef.gif

Gas here in Orion, Il. this morning is $3.98/9

Diesel is $4.75/9
angry.gif

Methinks show schedule will have to be modified
bash.gif

TP

Luther, I wish I could buy hay for that price! Coastal grass hay is 6.25, T&A goes for 14...I'm lucky that a retired farmer down the road sales me round bales for 30 bucks a piece

The price has reached a point that the push mower is now doing the work, along with my 12 year old and me. My yard is just under an acre, so it takes just an hour and a half to mow, or 45 minutes with the tractor.

My tractor needs some motor work, so that is part of it the whole plan, but using less gas is also part of the idea. It was 17.50 to fill up my can the other day. I would rather make that last a bit longer, since it is just for mowing grass.

You Iowa guys enjoy your cheap E85 while you can! I just made a trip to town (rare) and found E85 3.89...Reg 3.99...and Diesel 4.79. We only have one outlet for E85 so I guess they can charge what they want! Happy Holiday!

Steve T:
I'm ready to get the 48" deck out for the 129 and put the S**g Tiger Cub in da barn - 19 horse gas guzzlin' Kaw versus petrol sippin' 12 horse Kohler..
Shift.gif

Well fellas, I've only mowed one time this year. Going this week to pick up a few pygmy goats. They'll eat everything down plus give me about 1/2 gallon of milk a day. I figure with gas at $3.99,milk at $3.78,butter at upwards of $3.00 and cheese around $6.00 I can't go wrong!

Henri,

Did you figure in the cost of a good fence? Even pigmy goats will find a way out when you think there is none. BTDT. I wish the city would allow us to keep one or two in town.

Kyle, I figure them to,pay themselves off in less than a year. I figure barbwire 3" o/c should do it what you think?

Life blood of the USA hit $4.09/gal yesterday afternoon in these parts.

Henri,

I'd stay away from barbed wire. They will get injured many times before they give up on trying to get out. It would be a shame to have a milk goat ruined from catching her udder on the wire. I used no climb wire mesh when I had goats. It used to run about $50 for a 150' roll. I also ran a hot wire along the top to discourage them from trying to push the fence down. You probably won't have that problem if you stick with pigmy's. If you want something quick while you put the fence up you can use a portable fencing system like what is used for horses during transport. It will take a few weeks for them to get brave enough to jump through the (electrified) wire.

Gas has held at $3.89 for almost two weeks. I'm not going to RPRU like I planned to. I wish I still had my motorbike.
rant.gif

Gas holding steady at $3.88 here. Kyle, I've changed my mind, I think I will put up a privacy fence instead. For the money they want for good goat fence these days I'm just as well building an 8' fence an killing 2 birds with 1 stone!

I was around Central Jersey today and reg. gas was $3.89-$4.07. My big suprise was the poor people with Diesel SUVs are paying $4.79 at a discount station!

Latest posts

Back