• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Old H to 12V

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elincoln

displayname
Edward H Lincoln
The only 2 things he has changed so far is the generator and the voltage regulator, what else needs to be changed? amp gage?

Amp gauge is fine. If engine has a magneto, it's fine too. If it has distributor, it needs either a 12v coil or ballast resistor. And all the light bulbs need replaced.

I'd also disable the dimming coil for low or dim beams on the headlights. It gets REALLY HOT if you use that light position at all. No sense tempting fate on 60-70 year old tractor parts.

I'd also install some sort of battery disconnect and any time the engine is shut off for more than an hour disconnect the battery.

Our M is converted as Denny described with no issues (but battery disconnect was not installed, a bit overkill if you ask me).

Steve - Both my FARMALLS, the Super H and the '51 M you saw at RPRU in Madison a couple years ago have Delco 10si alternators, the parasitic draw kills the battery in 3-4 days so both need disconnects. Side benefit of that is the batteries last years and years longer because they never get drained. Not sure about the M but the Die Hard in the SH is 15 years old!

And having a totally DEAD electrical system on my tractors let's me sleep at night. I've even started pulling the ground cables off all my CC's too.

Had to laugh yesterday.... SON & I were standing WAY in the back of the auction barn in Davenport at Mecum's Gone Farming auction. Several of those nasty noisey 2-cylinder diesels right by where we were standing and the owner had the battery cables pulled off them while they were parked, he had to attach them before starting an 830 and two 730's. Disconnects if hidden make good anti-theft devices too!

Ours must have a different alternator, as battery stays up no problem......

I could wire in an electrical diode into the wiring to stop the battery drain but I'm O-K with the way it is.

Thanks for the replies. I'll forward the info. I don't think it has head lights. Yesterday I helped the guy bring home a cc106 and a cc125.

There's a few H's out there without lights, but not many. As was typical IHC, you could get electric start With or WITHOUT lights, I Think they even offered a light package without elec. Start for a while too. Plus, it's impossible to predict what a prior owner has done to a tractor in the 70-75 years since it was built. No lights makes the conversion to 12 V all that much easier. It it has a mag, you're almost done!

Ours has the diode....explaining the "non-issue" with drain.

Worth the trouble converting, man they start nice on 12V!!!!

STEVE - OTB, "Old Three Bottom" posted video of the new 12v alternator he just put on his "War Baby H", about a '41 or '42. Engine spins over like there's no plugs, starts right up and purrs, charges at 30A. You'll never get a 6V Genny H or M to do that!

There's a few old timers on RPM that still resist 12V and alternators, but fewer every couple months when the topic comes up.

The diehards all claim big battery cables, clean grounds and a charged fresh 6V battery are key. Dad's '51 M was delivered December 24,1951, and wouldn't start the first time on Dec. 25,1951 at zero degrees. New everything, about ten days out of FARMALL. And the 4" M&W pistons, M&W live hyd, and Char-Lynn P/S just add drag or resistance to it's ability to start. On 12V it starts on about the third revolution after setting for MONTHS!

Back