• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Old Cubs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Olsen

IHCC Supporter
There is just something mowing or other chores on a 54 year old tractor. People drive slow and around the block to see and watch me mow my lawn on my 105 while I wait on parts for my 1450 and 108 which is still really cool using them compared to everyone else using their new jds and huskyvarnas or even new cubs that just aren’t the same. I even break out one of my Os and mow 1 or to times a year.

I mow my 2/3 acre with one of my 6 vintage Cubs equipped with mower decks at least once a week. I consistently get looks from passerbys. An elderly woman a couple of houses away has a relative mow her yard with a 1986 1211 she bought new. It looks and runs like a couple of year old tractor. Most of the entire neighborhood has a late model Cub Cadet. There is one older gentleman that collects Wheel Horses down the street.

I use my 106 as a mowing tractor, living in a rural area means I don't know how many people even see me using it but I still love mowing with a 51 year old garden tractor. I just can't get the same enjoyment from a modern machine.

There is just something mowing or other chores on a 54 year old tractor. People drive slow and around the block to see and watch me mow my lawn on my 105 while I wait on parts for my 1450 and 108 which is still really cool using them compared to everyone else using their new jds and huskyvarnas or even new cubs that just aren’t the same. I even break out one of my Os and mow 1 or to times a year.
My 782 has got regular use mowing for the last 8 years. The neighbor on one side often gives me a thumbs up from the seat of his 26hp late model Simplicity. The guy on the other side is a bit of a strange bird — has a 24hp Yanmar/Cub Cadet (cost ~$15k ?) and then went out last year and bought a big-box-store John Deere lawn tractor. He mows with both. Figure that one out.

My 782 has got regular use mowing for the last 8 years. The neighbor on one side often gives me a thumbs up from the seat of his 26hp late model Simplicity. The guy on the other side is a bit of a strange bird — has a 24hp Yanmar/Cub Cadet (cost ~$15k ?) and then went out last year and bought a big-box-store John Deere lawn tractor. He mows with both. Figure that one out.
if Strange Bird has to be told (the difference), then he wouldn’t understand.

(they just don’t build ‘em like they used to).

(they just don’t build ‘em like they used to).
No they really don't.

But the question is, would you pay over $12k for a brand new air cooled gasoline 2wd garden tractor? That's the adjusted for inflation price of my 1986 Cub 1811. Most of us would not, with the vast selection of 4wd compact diesel tractors on the market. Obviously, most of these new imported tractors will not be around in 40 years, and thousands of hours of use later. They sure don't look as good either. Now you see why CCC lowered the quality significantly so the price point was where more could afford one.

Superb quality and durability does definitely cost more.

No they really don't.

Superb quality and durability does definitely cost more.
vs. the tinny disposable-toaster-mentality appliances most mfgrs produce today, built for Biff & Buffy rather than for enduring use and the so-satisfying long-term maintenance / productivity.

long live iHCC machines and their CCC kin!

one of my 100's is my backup mower for my simplicity hydro. it actually cuts a lot better than the simplicity. i can go through high wet grass without it bogging at all and it slings the grass way out of the chute. i actually prefer it for the big parts of my property. the hydro still is nice for trimming though. i have a few more round fender cubs that i am refurbing and am doing one now for a mower at my camp. these things are great for that when used with caution because there is no safety switches, etc on them. but these were made when men were men and had some common sense. i have had a few people comment on my cubs and a couple want me to find them one. i've only been into these things for less than a year and have 6 already. i have been collecting tractors and parts so that i can have a good stable of these things to work on when i retire. i may even buy and sell some for some parts money. i know from experience that making a profit on these things is not easy.

Back