• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Oil Change Aid

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack casey

IHCC Supporter
Have a CC 102 with Kohler K241 engine. Changing oil is fussy, too much iron in the way. Not finding a hose on Drainzit site; a simple 90degree elbow would work but dont know the NPT.
Cheers, Jack

The specified plug for your tractor is:​

Cub Cadet KH-X-75-10​

Plug, 3/8-18 Auto Sq Hd, Filler & Drain
(Superseded to KH-25-139-57-S)

full.png

If you’re like me, and tend to round off corners on these, turn a socket extension around, and put the square on the square plug. Then use your tool of choice to turn the hardened steel end of the extension.

Use a 12 point socket
12 point socket - yes. Be aware, there IS a difference between double-6 and triple-square. It has to do with the angles of the points. A "regular", ie. double-6, socket may be close enough to work, but for best life of your sockets on heavy-duty use, get a triple-square socket from the best-quality tool brand you can get. Just a few high- priced specialty sockets will be worth the saved frustration even for those of us who are on tight budgets. "The right tool for the job." BTDT.

Curt,

We use that technique at work on brass drain plugs, where even using the correct size wrench does not guarantee that you will not round those off.

Have a CC 102 with Kohler K241 engine. Changing oil is fussy, too much iron in the way. Not finding a hose on Drainzit site; a simple 90degree elbow would work but dont know the NPT.
Cheers, Jack
With my Cub 102 I've griped that's it a P I T A to change oil with the mower mounted - too much ironwork under there. I'm not taking the mower off just to change oil. Can't speak for all tractors but it might the same for 100 series Cubs. With help from '18112 Cub - "your oil plug is KH -X-75-10," I found a solution on Amazon as you see in pix 1 and 3. You need both pieces in pix 1 and a 4" piece of hose in pix 2 which dumps the dirty oil away.
Cheers

Attachments

• 8BC2C487-9D90-40FD-A516-39F5672FC220.jpeg
    8BC2C487-9D90-40FD-A516-39F5672FC220.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • E2B59556-14E6-4257-A5EC-61444F90ABDF.jpeg
    E2B59556-14E6-4257-A5EC-61444F90ABDF.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5681B43A-43C8-4159-94B2-53F750D1F03F.jpeg
    5681B43A-43C8-4159-94B2-53F750D1F03F.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
I usually just set the deck at the lowest point, and use an old antifreeze jug that has one side cut out. Just don’t forget to tighten the lid each time you drain it.

I've used an old, very old, steel bread pan that would hold one loaf of bread to drain oil out of my Cubbies for decades. They slide in best from the right side, no steering drag link, and they set down nicely on the sides of the mule drive frame, make sure you clean the underside of the engine before sliding the pan in. Then a 12 inch Cresent wrench nicely loosens the drain plug. When the oil stops dripping clean and reinstall the drain plug. CAREFULLY lift the bread pan straight up, don't tip it, slide it back out the right side and empty it.
Add your 1-1/2 quarts of fresh oil.
No special tools needed, if your sloppy you might spill two drops of oil. I had times in the fall years ago where I did an oil change in the K241 in my #72 every weekend for a couple weeks, pulling the lawn vacuum then aerating the yard the following weekends.

I've used an old, very old, steel bread pan that would hold one loaf of bread to drain oil out of my Cubbies for decades. They slide in best from the right side, no steering drag link, and they set down nicely on the sides of the mule drive frame, make sure you clean the underside of the engine before sliding the pan in. Then a 12 inch Cresent wrench nicely loosens the drain plug. When the oil stops dripping clean and reinstall the drain plug. CAREFULLY lift the bread pan straight up, don't tip it, slide it back out the right side and empty it.
No special tools needed, if your sloppy you might spill two drops of oil. I had times in the fall years ago where I did an oil change in the K241 in my #72 every weekend for a couple weeks, pulling the lawn vacuum then aerating the yard the following weekends.
I never thought my little oil change treatise would prompt so many responses, thanks for that. Photo is better than my original, see the 4" section of hose that just clears the ironwork to dump oil into a 4 1/2 X 10 piece of kitchenware (a steel breadpan will do). For me using a cookie tin in the mule drive resulted in a bit of a mess - I bent the rim to be sure to catch the dripping, but not enuf. So, the risk of spillage made me find a better way, for me. I'm getting older and resist getting down on the floor or even kneeling. All I need do is reach under and slide open the EZ drain valve. Easey peasey, oil change is now less of a chore. I predict a couple of you guys are gonna try my way.
Cheers, Jack

Attachments

• 8EF4F6AC-60FF-49EC-8AF6-A1F9C780B900.jpeg
    8EF4F6AC-60FF-49EC-8AF6-A1F9C780B900.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0

Reply to D Frisk, I have two Kohler K241 manuals. Nowhere is it mentioned that the oil sump fills with 1-1/2 qts. Mine seems full at 1-1/3 qts, perhaps a minor point but I'd like to know.
Cheers, Jack

Back