• If you're having trouble logging into your account , you can Reset Password
Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Off-topic mower blade option question

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

rfunk

displayname
Reynold Funk
My yard has one stretch "downhill" from a former pig barn. Really lush even when the rest of the yard is dry. Always wants to clump up, even if I mow first with the deck raised, then again with it lowered. (149 with 50" cutting width deck) I will need to replace my blades either this season or next. Wondering if anyone here has 1) seen, or 2) used something called a Meg-Mo. Basically, it replaces the blades with a disk and free-swinging blades, (4 edges per disk), effectively like a bush-mower. Looking for opinions and/or experiences with anything similar, especially used with our older design non-high-airflow decks. The original, thick blades do stand up to a lot of use and abuse. Can something like this? Thanks.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
My tractor show buddy bought Meg-Mow blades for his Compact utility tractor with a 72 inch 3-blade deck. He went back to factory blades. Gator Blades makes a blade for the 44", 50", and 60" decks, they chop up the clippings so they effectively disappear. Many guys here use them.

etopel

displayname
Ed Topel
Oregon quit making Gator blades for the 44a/c decks. I don't know about the other sizes. They make them for 44 Z-force decks but they are 16" long and would need to be shortened to 15 1/8.

rfunk

displayname
Reynold Funk
Ok, so it sounds like Dennis' buddy was less than impressed with the Meg-Mow blades. I think the blades on my (50" cutting width, not sure of model) are, perhaps the Gator blades, they have the three notches cut in the wing of the blades. Just over 17" diameter, 0.75" hole, but well-worn by now. Not much left of the flat surface in front of the wing.
Thanks for your input, guys. I may just have to create a pickup system for those areas I have that are always so lush. I do have a 48" tow-behind sweeper, but that loads up so fast, and is a pain to empty.

Group builder