• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

October 1964 IH Cub Cadet 100 with International 38-inch 3-spindle/blade mower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoloch

displayname
Anthony N. Woloch
Greetings. What are the recommended fasteners and order of assembly for these new pair of gauge wheels for my IH 38-inch wide 3-spindle/3-blade mower deck? Recently, I purchased from Cub Cadet Specialties a pair of nice quality Martin Wheel brand 7-inch diameter gauge wheels (solid rubber tire/steel wheel with ball bearings), among other Cub Cadet goodies. Pages 8-9 of my December-1968 Operator's Manual for International Rotary Mowers (excerpts attached) indicate the original set up for each original gauge wheel was the following: 13/32 x 13/16 x 1/16-inch plain washer; wheel bushing, gauge wheel; 13/32 x 13/16 x 1/16-inch plain washer - in that order, For 38-inch mowers . . ., secure with a 3/8-inch jam nut. For 48-inch mowers, secure with lock washers, and hex nut. With these new ball-bearing gauge wheels, I assume the wheel bushing is eliminated. I would also prefer lock washers and a hex nut over a jam nut. A recent post by Digger mentioned the following to another member: IH Cub Cadet OEM Steel Rear Mower Deck Gauge Wheel 7-inch with Dual Ball Bearings same as PN IH 479427 R91 and IH Deck Wheel Shoulder Bolt for Wheels above for IH 479427 R91 Wheels. Would these shoulder bolts work for mounting my new gauge wheels? Thank you!

Attachments

• OperatorsManualForInternationalHarvesterRotaryMowersIncluding38Inch3SpindleMower.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 272
Here are some photos of the new mower deck gauge wheels (solid rubber tire/steel wheel/ball bearings) and the old gauge wheel (the other one was missing since I bought this used IH Cub Cadet 100 tractor with 38-inch wide mower deck).

Attachments

• IMG_7050.JPG
    IMG_7050.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_7051.JPG
    IMG_7051.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_7053.JPG
    IMG_7053.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_7055.JPG
    IMG_7055.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 379
The later 38", 42" and 48" decks used the shoulder bolt. You will want to be sure of the ID of the new wheels to be sure what size bolt or bushing properly fits into them.

Thank you Kraig for your comments. I'll take measurements and one of the new gauge wheels to Ace Hardware to see what fasteners may work with my new ball bearing & steel gauge wheels and IH 38-wide mower deck. Just curious, is still possible to obtain NOS IH-marked fasteners like shoulder bolts and nuts?

I got bolts at Ace and coffee and popcorn. Always get a hot cup at Ace and the kids like the popcorn. That is why I shop there and not the big box. Bolts will be in the Hillman aisle.

Thanks for your update Charlie. Miss free popcorn at Ace and free food samples at Costco. Will such things ever come back?

Back