• If you're having trouble logging into your account , you can Reset Password
Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Number-series LoBoys 154, 185, 184

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

rleo

displayname
Ray Leo
Question:
Is the different between the 184 and 185 in the transmission (like the gear drive/hydro in the Cub Cadets)
--Ray Leo

tturner

displayname
Tyler Turner
I think that the only difference in the models is the carb.

tturner

displayname
Tyler Turner
Should I buy another 184?? I hate the one that I have, but the one that I am looking at has a creeper. Will the creeper slow it down enough to mow??

sleggett

displayname
Steve
Tyler, my friend has a 154, 60" deck, with a creeper, he say's he use's the creeper often, that 60" deck must pull hard!

lbaker

displayname
Lyle Baker
I just sold my 184. Was a great work horse but found it to hard to turn, having so many trees in the yard. Had everything to put on power steering but decided on a ztr.Watch the cradle on the tranny as they are.will crack, but not hard to fix.

twaltzer

displayname
Tony Waltzer
Does anyone have info on putting power steering on a 154?

bigsteve

IHCC Supporter
displayname
"Big" Steve Blunier, Roanoke, IL
Tyler I have a 185 with a Woods 59 and i mow in second gear all the time. The trick is to get the engine rpms up to 2650 and it will be a mowing machine. The only difference between a 154 and 185 is the carb and manifold.The difference between 185 and 184is pto and main clutches and grille.

dquillen

displayname
David C. Quillen
Was a front blade available for the 154 LoBoy? If so, where would I find info & pictures. Thanks.

David

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
David Q., yes.

313701.jpg

If you go to the Cub Cadet Parts Lookup page, see link at the top of this webpage and select the "International Harvester" drop down menu then you should be able to find your way to the 154 Lo-Boy section where you will find exploded views and parts listings.

dquillen

displayname
David C. Quillen
Thank you Kraig......just what I was looking for!

David

dquillen

displayname
David C. Quillen
154 been sitting outside for 7 yrs. since last run. Owner said "it ran fine when I parked it". Wants $200. It seems to be stuck in gear & took some rocking to break the clutch free enough to roll it (with a scraping sound). Shift lever will only move up & down a little but won't change gears. Probably still a good deal but I don't need a major project sitting in line with the rest of them. Any thoughts on what's got it bound up? Thanks in advance.

David

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
How cold was it out when you looked at it?

If there is a bunch of water in the trans, you could have ice keeping it from shifting.

dschwandt

displayname
David Schwandt
Dave, probably the shift rails are rusted.
My 104 project was that way.
Had to split the tractor, remove the rails, springs and poppets and clean everything up and reassemble.
Soak the parts in vinegar overnight, the rust will turn to mush and wire brush right off w/a bench grinder and a wire wheel.

mhomrighausen

displayname
Marlin Homrighausen
David Q. Good advice from others. I'd say it's worth $200. As long as there isn't water in the engine oil the transmission shouldn't take much to get working again.

dquillen

displayname
David C. Quillen
Marlin & others, I'll probably buy that 154 if the crankcase checks out w/no water. For $200. it's hard to pass up another project tractor that my kids will wonder....."what was Dad thinking"?

Anyway, nothing can be read on the I.D. plate & wondering if there's a trick to making it legible again. Thanks in advance for all the help!

David

wh cc guy

Tyler I have a 185 with a Woods 59 and i mow in second gear all the time. The trick is to get the engine rpms up to 2650 and it will be a mowing machine. The only difference between a 154 and 185 is the carb and manifold.The difference between 185 and 184is pto and main clutches and grille.
A 154 and 185 have a belt driven starter generator. A 184 has a starter flywheel combo with a belt driven generator

Group builder