• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

noisy transmission

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daryl

I have a 2010ish cub cadet lawn tractor, 24hp, model LTX1050. The transmission seems noisy. I think it is normal that hydro static transmission makes a kind of buzzy/whiney sound when engaged (correct me if I am wrong). My transmission makes that sound on steriods. It is more of a load groaning sound. Any ideas if this is normal, abnormal, bad, indifferent, etc? Things to look for? Could low trans fluid cause this?

It could be the idler pulley. You could check to see if it is that by removing the drive belt and spinning the idler pulley. I have a 2010 LTX1050kw with a hydro-gear 618-0319 transaxle, and I'm on my 3rd one (don't plow with a LTX1050)! The first one went because I was plowing and doing things I shouldn't have been doing with a lawn tractor. Number two was a rebuild of one, and went before I purchased a 782. Mine always sounded like metal on metal somewhere, but it sounded like that at the store when I drove it the first time and I just thought that's the way it should sound and I didn't know better at the time. When two went a year after the rebuild, I took it to a mechanic. I asked if he had a machine similar to mine with a dead engine that we could perhaps pull the transaxle from. He had a machine but it had a tuff torq tansaxle. He didn't know if it would fit or not, but it turned out that it fit perfectly. When I picked it up, he also mentioned he replaced the idler pulley because the bushings were shot. It sounds and runs great ever since.

I learned from rebuilding the first one, that it's possible to syphon the the oil from the transaxle and replace with 20W50 motor oil. I try to do this once a year. The overflow reservoir is located below the battery. I feed the tube from a brake siphon down through the top of the transaxle to extract the old oil. Its always tricky and there isn't much working room.

It's a good machine if you stick to mowing

Back