• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Newbie Owner to Cub Cadet 70

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a 63/64? Cub Cadet 70 project. I want to resurrect this tractor back to life but I need to identify the parts correctly. There are 2 sets of numbers stamped into the side of the chassis, one is a 6 digit and the other is 8 digit with a letter in it. They are right beside each other. The Kohler engine has 2 sets of 6 digit numbers on the identification tag but I cant tell which number is serial number because tag is worn. Where is a site to identify the tractor and also a parts supplier that you like to use. Thanks in advance for any replies as I am anxious to get started on this project.

WELCOME!

The serial number would be stamped in not cast in. They can be hard to find some times especially if teh stamping was light. Here's a link to the Cub Cadet FAQ that should help:

Cub Cadet FAQ Serial Numbers

Welcome Jody!
You live around 90 minutes from me in NC!
We would love to see some pics of that 70. I restored one a few years ago, and finished a 100 last year.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Here is my 70.

after.jpg

Found a 63/64? Cub Cadet 70 project. I want to resurrect this tractor back to life but I need to identify the parts correctly. There are 2 sets of numbers stamped into the side of the chassis, one is a 6 digit and the other is 8 digit with a letter in it. They are right beside each other. The Kohler engine has 2 sets of 6 digit numbers on the identification tag but I cant tell which number is serial number because tag is worn. Where is a site to identify the tractor and also a parts supplier that you like to use. Thanks in advance for any replies as I am anxious to get started on this project.
Welcome to the forum! I've got new parts and Rob Houtz has used parts. (y) The sponsor buttons at the top of the page.

Welcome Jody!
You live around 90 minutes from me in NC!
We would love to see some pics of that 70. I restored one a few years ago, and finished a 100 last year.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Here is my 70.

View attachment 138133
Wow! That is awesome! Mine is a long project in the making, A lot of surface rust but nothing deep, not running at the moment but engine does have compression and not locked up , found on a farm in Louisburg NC and I am amazed at how heavy duty these machines were built compared to the new stuff. How long have you owned yours and what are some of the obstacles you encountered while building this beauty?

Thanks,
As for the obstacles, the biggest one is having patience, and not trying to rush things. Takes quite a while to clean up all those parts.
I bought this one from a guy in Greensboro in 09'. Here is what it looked like when I got it.

copy3.jpg

Another pic of now.

copy1.jpg

copy2.jpg
206 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Yessir that’s quite a transformation, mine is a little worse lol , but I like taking old things and making them nice again. I mainly got it to move my trailers and jet skis around and I’m pretty sure it can handle that. Couple questions as I haven’t been able to find a manual yet. I don’t think I’m getting enough fire out of my coil, maybe it’s the wire. Can you buy a new coil ? Or is this stuff always used? And that black box mounted inside the grill, is that some kind of voltage regulator?
5458FF72-B1E7-4E12-8CD6-50046C32F938.jpeg

Thanks,
As for the obstacles, the biggest one is having patience, and not trying to rush things. Takes quite a while to clean up all those parts.
I bought this one from a guy in Greensboro in 09'. Here is what it looked like when I got it.

View attachment 138141

Another pic of now.

View attachment 138142
View attachment 138143
[/QUOTE]

Yes the black box is the voltage regulator. You can buy new coils. We have pdf versions of manuals that you can view and download. I will post a link shortly. I need to boot my pc first.

That is one beautiful Cub Cadet 70 you completely restored Marty!

I like the Model 70, it's the first one son and I did back when he was in high school.
Now sports a center mount grader blade from Dan H. Could stand a little refreshing.
It's a working tractor. I forget the gents name but he posted here with his 70 about 30 yrs ago.
Was kneeling beside the tractor smoking a cigar.

That would be Sam Dishman. I will repost that photo in a few minutes, need to boot my laptop.

Here's the photo of Sam with his 70. Unfortunately back when he posted it the size limit was a bit on the small size.

193.jpg

Jody,
Why do you think your coil is bad?
You can check it with an ohmmeter.
If you think you are not getting enough spark because the starter/generator is turning over slow, don't worry, that is normal. ;)
If the coil is bad, make sure you buy one with an internal resistor in it as pictured below.

Coil check.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for that info. 😄
Jody,
Why do you think your coil is bad?
You can check it with an ohmmeter.
If you think you are not getting enough spark because the starter/generator is turning over slow, don't worry, that is normal. ;)
If the coil is bad, make sure you buy one with an internal resistor in it as pictured below.

View attachment 138154
[/QUOTE]

Back