• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Newbe Question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A $600 Cub Cadet should be a turn key drive away deal, period.

I'm right there with you Dave. For $600 it should be a drive away deal.

I don't know what to think of this 1200 yet. One thing that impressed me was the rubber grommet for the spark plug was still there (at least laying next to the spark plug). The Kohler AQS engine needs this grommet for proper air cooling but 95% of the time they are missing (I'm pretty certain Charlie still has hundreds in stock). The next thing I noticed is a "bolt" holding the clutch lever hanger in place. I'm nearly positive that is supposed to be a pin. Makes me think the clutch has had some work not done correctly, but don't know for certain. I do know I just don't like those clutch discs used on the QL units - they always crack. So the clutch is another thing to add to the list of probable items needing work.
And besides all this, if this tractor was running 6 months ago it really shouldn't take much to get it running again - no matter how busy the guy is. Not only run but also drive, and drive good for $600.

The so-called dealer said he had it running 6 months ago. He didn't say what length of time it ran! :errrr:
Did it run before the starter got "adjusted" or after? :crash:

Stephen,
If it makes you happy, go for it.
You think $600 is high, wait until you take it back to him to fix everything that is wrong with it! :yikes: If you take it back for repairs, just remember how long he has had it since it once ran.
If you are looking for something reliable to mow with, I think you will be disappointed. Just my honest opinion.

Just browsing for a second and found this one for $800. Clean as a pin, and runs great. Has headlights and a creeper gear!
You can find almost anything you want, if you are a little patient.

add.jpg

So today no more thinking of that 1200. I just purchased a 74 129 hydro runs great, has a snow blower that maybe has 20 hours on it as they never used it, it has some hydra mower lift, full set of manuals even a manual for the snow blower. Still need to bring it home in a few days
So what is the word on this model 129?

Great machine. Never look back. The only thing better would be a 149 For two more horses. Sounds like you got a sound tractor from a guy who had all the manuals and probably took decent care of it. Hydraulic lift will be more and more appreciated as you age gracefully...I’m to that point. That’s why I shopped for a 782. No question it would have hydraulic lift.

Photos would be nice. We love photos. Edit: oops too slow. Well, at least it’s not orange or green.

Brian,
I did not mean to disrespect the lower hp models, but we don’t know his plans for this tractor, and it’s better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

The Bathtub King of Shell Knob has me wanting an 8 hp mowing machine.

Edit: sorry, The newly-crowned, and recently-retired Bathtub King of Shell Knob...

Last edited:
Great machine. Never look back. The only thing better would be a 149 For two more horses. Sounds like you got a sound tractor from a guy who had all the manuals and probably took decent care of it. Hydraulic lift will be more and more appreciated as you age gracefully...I’m to that point. That’s why I shopped for a 782. No question it would have hydraulic lift.

Photos would be nice. We love photos. Edit: oops too slow. Well, at least it’s not orange or green.
I got model wrong. It is a 169 has a 16 horse kohler, some kind of rear disk brakes, lots extra parts like blades belts. It was garage kept and very detailed maint. Engine runs great no oil smell

169! I think that’s a semi-rare model. There is a great discussion on how many cooling fins 16hps have from long ago, so you should count them one day when you’re bored, and search for the threads about it.

Back