• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New to the family- 129

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I just picked up a few tractors a couple of days ago. I bought a 109 parts tractor and a good-working 129 for $500. I sold the 109 for $150, so ended up with a solid machine for only $350. I now own both a 128 and 129... hopefully it ends there!

The tractor runs great. The only issue is you have to hold the hydro level in place going forward, or it will creep up quickly and take off. Is there an adjustment to tighten it so it stays put?

Here are some pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_20220404_132623051_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220404_132623051_HDR.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20220404_132630549_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220404_132630549_HDR.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220404_132638863_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220404_132638863_HDR.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220404_132646478_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220404_132646478_HDR.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 70
Hello, I just picked up a few tractors a couple of days ago. I bought a 109 parts tractor and a good-working 129 for $500. I sold the 109 for $150, so ended up with a solid machine for only $350. I now own both a 128 and 129... hopefully it ends there!

The tractor runs great. The only issue is you have to hold the hydro level in place going forward, or it will creep up quickly and take off. Is there an adjustment to tighten it so it stays put?

Here are some pictures!
I now own both a 128 and 129... hopefully it ends there!

Here are some pictures!
No it won't!!
Next thing you know a 169 will pop up somewhere close and you will be on your way..... again!!!
Ask me how I know this!! :yikes:

There are two styles of friction adjustments on the 1x9 series of Cub Cadets. In the manual I linked below, the adjustments info starts on page 78 of the PDF file, which is page 2-55 of the actual manual. The serial number break for the change is below 503725 and 503725 and above.

1x8/9 and QL Service Manual

I searched the hydro creep problem that people were having, and it doesn't seem to the same issue I'm having. My tractor returns to neutral when pressing the brake and stays in neutral. The problem I have is the hydro lever is so loose than it speeds up to top speed on its own unless you hold the lever. I must have the pre-503725 tractor, as I have the small screw for the friction-adjustment, not the larger adjustment nut from the later tractors.

I did try tightening that screw all the way, and I think it actually stripped part of the thread. It physically looks like there can't be any more tightening around the hydro-rod that extends down from the lever. Is it possible for the lever to be worn down? I had thought about drilling the threads out just a little to accommodate a slightly larger bolt to draw more torque. I'm trying to think of how I could add a shim or something around the hydro rod so I can get some kind of friction.

Tom,

You might try Houtz at the top of the page for a hydro tension setup for your tractor. They have tons of used parts. Your best bet is to call.

Good luck. You don’ t want to end up like /\ that guy!

Why not fix it trunion slot and put new damper springs in. Get the slop out at the source and it won't creep.

Tom,

You need to replace the friction bushing inside support bracket. The link to the Service Manual that Kraig posted really doesn't explain the fix well (Ref pg. 2-55 & 2-56. However, there is a FAQ item #32 that specifically shows you how to do it. See link below. You will need to order the friction spacer IH-680521-R2 from Charlie. Hope this helps.

http://cubfaq.com/hydrohandleslopfix.html

VERY much appreciate the responses. Ron hit it right on the head. The problem was the friction bushing. I added a small piece of plastic from a butter container lid to help shim it up, and it now works perfectly. Fear not.. it's a temporary fix and I'll get the correct replacement part. Thanks for all of the help!

Back