• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New to my grandson

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donhall

New to my grandson. My grandson bought this tractor to start a lawnmowing business. He’s only 12. We have a little work to get it going. Serial number is 320017U137142

BB61FE94-BF65-4675-83B7-41EDFFB7952D.jpeg

Looks like he's off to a great start!

That's pretty cool. How does he intend to go about it... driving it to clients or will he have it trailered?

A fantastic learning curve for motor/vehicle maintenance.

He hope to travel within his neighborhood. If needed it fits nicely in their 6X12 enclosed trailer. He and I have worked on numerous projects together. His dad bought this, but it won’t start. Won’t turn over or anything. Like no battery. So we are starting at ground zero.

He hope to travel within his neighborhood. If needed it fits nicely in their 6X12 enclosed trailer. He and I have worked on numerous projects together. His dad bought this, but it won’t start. Won’t turn over or anything. Like no battery. So we are starting at ground zero.
Trouble shooting from the get-go. That should be both interesting and rewarding for him. I still treasure the fact that EVERYTHING that I eventually learned about any internal combustion system was built upon fully understanding a single cylinder B&S that I rebuilt in *small gas engines* in Junior High.

Is the battery any good?
Is the PTO switch on? It has to be off.
Is the neutral starter circuit intact and viable
both these have function properly to complete the starter circuitry to get power to the starter.

Don - flip the PTO switch back and forth a few times. The switch is known to be a common failure item with a no start situation.
And in your pic the brake pedal is not depressed. There is a safety switch that requires the pedal to be depressed before starting.
Also, I saw your other post about the serial number situation. Please get us the correct number that's on the left side of the frame next to the brake pedal.

Ooh, I see you did find the tractor serial number and that it was built July '79. That makes it a late production unit in the Quiet Line series. You should have 1" front spindles instead of the earlier 3/4". The steering wheel should have the small triangular center cap with a silver IH emblem. Something I noticed in your pic is the front of the frame has the holes for front hydraulics, but it was only optional on the hydrostatic drive tractors.

New to my grandson. My grandson bought this tractor to start a lawnmowing business. He’s only 12. We have a little work to get it going. Serial number is 320017U137142
Awesome grandson and grandpa! Good luck with your business.

I found the brake/clutch switch and will check it out. Where is the neutral switch if there is one. I haven’t had time to do much trouble shooting as my grandson can’t come over for a few days

Harry, That machine is a gear drive 1200
David - yes I know and that's why I said it was only optional on the hydro tractors. I never noticed the holes on a gear drive frame before, but then again we don't see many gear drive Quiet Lines.

He may find the need for more than one Cub Cadet as many of us have.

Back