• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

new to me ..surface prep

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Some car nuts turned me onto a product that works wonders..If you have used evercoat before you know ,if you haven't I'm just sharing.I have a 129 in process of refurb. but the hood had quite a few pits that I couldn't get to fill with primer enough.Evercoat is a glazing compound that is mixed like bondo and is spread the same way. It sands like drywall joints,a super fine dust. It fills the those pesky tiny holes and is as smooth as glass finished....if the pic shows good you will see lots of dots of white that are filled holes.....caution it hardens fast ,spread quickly and thin..

Attachments

• 100_1477.JPG
    100_1477.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_1478.JPG
    100_1478.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 196
When I have had a pitted surface or deep scratches in the metal I just use regular body filler... I have used it for years to fill pits and scratches...

Last edited:
No, I meant with overspray on everything.
Dave , a lot of parts are coming off before finish.I'm reasonably good with tape and paper.Bat box probably white..The tractor will end up Int. red and white with some black accents...I have 4 yellow machines now all in some state of needed repair and repaint so this one is for my eyes. I remember a post by Kraig wondering what effect on sales might be if Int. had made small tractors red and white also ..(not counting 82 series) this won't happen too quick unless we have a mild winter...

Why bother filling the pits and scratches on the fenders if you're just going to leave the footrest treads on? There is rust under those and it will return quickly after your paint job. If you're going to go to the trouble of painting it, might as well take a bit more time to get it right.

1633639318198.png

From another thread:

See that can behind DP50 That’s Raderal. Sprayable polyester (MUD) You need a 2.5 or bigger cap. Best kept secret . When i do Muscle cars i spray (2-3) coats over all my bodywork. Then use the (Big) wooden paint sticks cut in half by length. Then sand car with 150. Straightest cars you’ve ever seen.

Dang! Who knew those paint stirrers were good for sanding cars. I always told my kids they were kid paddles for attitude adjustments.

Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot. Get the long straight thick ones. Then put in vice . Snap off 1/3 or half. Then Round off corners with bench grinder. So the corners of the wood don’t put sand lines in the primer.

Gary I never like painting over older hard paint. When you repaint or even prime. It etch’s in and the solvent softens. And moves the paint around then shrinks. Strip it. Then prime bare metal. And then paint . Then it will stay straight and tight.

Latest posts

Back