• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New to me Spirit of 76

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pelton IV

IHCC Supporter
Just picked up this Spirit of 76 and have started tinkering with it. Unfortunately the original seat and it's pan are completely shot but the rest seems decent even the deck that came with. Not sure how healthy the Briggs is but it seems to have good compression. Currently fighting with a spark issue I'm hoping to sort out.
20210710_164824.jpg
20210710_164835.jpg

I'm thinking of following a lot of advice I'm getting and switching to a magnetron coil, just curious as to where I should look for a part number? Also I assume this is part of the charging circuit but if someone could tell/show me what I'm missing besides the fuse it would be much appreciated.
20210711_170624.jpg
20210711_170633.jpg

Bill, let's start with the simple side..better pics of engine..On the shroud cover (usually stamped in) is a series of numbers,under the word " code" the first 2 numbers will tell you what yr it was made....model no. tells you what your chasing.....I can't tell from pic if engine is old enough to have points.Is it original engine?? The coil is NOT part of charging system.Almost always in a Briggs the charging stator is under the flywheel(unless there is an external generator)...Being very accurate in your description of issues is so important to us..We only have words to go by so no assumptions at all,we can't guess what you mean..doors open.......need more info on fuse where to what???

Had one of those 20 years ago, I remember Professor Chabot had an NOS White seat still wrapped in plastic! Tough little Lawn Tractors. It handled its own at Mow Day 2002. Man I need to get my Cubs running!!

Bill, let's start with the simple side..better pics of engine..On the shroud cover (usually stamped in) is a series of numbers,under the word " code" the first 2 numbers will tell you what yr it was made....model no. tells you what your chasing.....I can't tell from pic if engine is old enough to have points.Is it original engine?? The coil is NOT part of charging system.Almost always in a Briggs the charging stator is under the flywheel(unless there is an external generator)...Being very accurate in your description of issues is so important to us..We only have words to go by so no assumptions at all,we can't guess what you mean..doors open.......need more info on fuse where to what???
Briggs 170700 original far as I can tell.
Engine has points, been all through under the flywheel set all the gaps to spec, cleaned up the points and coil surfaces still no spark. The red wire that dead ends at the fuse holder goes up to the stator under the flywheel but nowhere else.

Bill, I think you sent mod no. not code date...but it has points...Did you change condenser? I would..Find the kill wire that grounds the coil and disconnect.Try for spark. If still no spark only a couple things left ,bad coil, bad gap at points or coil at flywheel,shorted plug wire and bad plug.....For flywheel to coil gap I use microfich,it's about 007 to 010...The manual Kraig sent is an awesome source to study....The fuse holder must be part of the charging system coming from the stator ...I'm guessing (!!) the other end went to ignition switch or battery....Need to research that...

I found a wiring diagram but I also found something saying it's actually a diode that goes there not a fuse which does make sense since I can't imagine you'd want constant power going to the stator. Or alternator as they call it there. I gotta look at the cover again probably missed the number under the paint.
Screenshot_20210712-090243_Chrome.jpg

Bill, many Briggs have a diode in a wire going to the stator it shows up as just a bump about 3/4" long along the side of the engine( before electronic regulators)...Kraig could show you a pic of where it goes on his '76..no he can't his has a diff. engine....the diode is the output side .....I've never seen what yours shows in the pic....Guess I haven't seen everything on older engines yet

Bill, I found a pic of your wire(fuse) bracket in old Briggs repair manual....The red wire was dc to battery. It was very low amps to maintain charge....The hole below it carried a white wire that was ac to headlights...Your machine doesn't have lights so no white wire...one less wire to worry about...

Back