• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New to me "sad" 782, so I will need lots of help here

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PACub100: you woulda liked the staff watching me measuring those in the store. They just kept shaking their heads saying they weigh 20 pounds...

... that manufacturer changed the dimensions of that weight once I acquired those six, or I might have more by now.

I’m thinking of naming the “sad” 782 “Spot” because it always leaves an oil spot beneath it. I used to have a car named “Flash”. Not because it was fast, but because the ECU kept having to be re-flashed.

I got an old box that had been used as a notepad today. Inside was an oil filter kit for my KT-17 II. I can’t wait to filter my oil!
316A33B9-F238-45E3-BE05-F3023B217C9B.jpeg
35CC38CF-7226-4240-A4E5-B4361F5A9303.jpeg

The top steering column bearing keeps coming out of place on this 782. Do I just need a new one, or will I need to take action to hold it in place even with a new one. This column was damaged when the driveshaft removed itself from the tractor. I have a decent used column I plan to put in, so I would take care of this when swapping.

I remember this happened to Dad's 124, but I can't remember if he ever solved the problem with anything but electrical tape and a hose clamp.

There is supposed to be a foam spacer between the bearing and the steering wheel. When new it might help keep that in there, but what I have had to do on a few of these is replace it with a stack of machine bushings to keep it from coming out.

They’re at it again:

Attachments

• 8E38D74F-9B9E-421A-8164-2A67628E6F4F.jpeg
    8E38D74F-9B9E-421A-8164-2A67628E6F4F.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 0
Those spacers aren't really anything special- 1/2" long 3/8" ID x 5/8" or 3/4" OD heavy wall steel bushings/spacers from your local ACE or similar good hardware store will work. The original spacers are like 0.469" tall or something like that. 0.5" will be close enough as long as you get four new ones.

24302 should be a series II. There should be provision for an oil filter (blockoff plate held on with a couple of allen head bolts forward of the RH cylinder). If that is there it is a series II. Also, if the oil fill cap is a plastic cap and not a pipe plug, it is probably a series II.

Hydraulic lift control valve should be easy to free up. Squirt some Kroil or PB blaster into the part that moves, and try tapping it back and forth with a hammer. Eventually it should move. Problem is likely dry O-rings that seal the unit.

Tractor has obviously been repainted. Serial number is below 719,999 but tractor was originally yellow based on the paint chip next to the data tag, so it will have mostly IH parts but be assembled by MTD. Who knows what a previous owner did with decals based on the paint job, but I have also seen some goofy things with decals in that transition period before MTD was fully producing all of the parts. T
it needs the paint removed off the tag I see the original paint for lettering under the top paint !!!!

1656803920969.jpeg

1C2EE349-FA51-45A7-931D-BD9B031A9C1D.jpeg
To review: at least the Audi stripe is understated much more than that nonsense on the Edge.

Check out the nice gash in the steering column:

8A717812-E452-4B93-9113-0952FBC3D643.jpeg

I have a replacement to rebuild and install. I just can’t seem to get motivated to do the work...or buy the parts. Plus, it’s pool season, and that keeps me pretty busy when I get home.

Are there 23x10.50x12 tubes with better located valve stems? These never wanted to line up, and now one has slipped, and I can’t get it to take air.

126E1E6C-468B-445A-93ED-62A0B6332660.jpeg

I got the rear tube changed, but still can't get the front tire off it's wheel. I made it angry when I first messed with it to paint it. It went from holding air to leaking down in a big hurry. It must have been slimed/glued by the P.O. I can't get it off of the bead for anything. Wello, that's not entirely true. I can see the backside of the bead, but the tire won't move away very far. I'm thinking of taking it to the local tire shop. I did manage to get the rear bearing off of it's spindle, and cleaned up the spindle a bit so that it travels on and off pretty well now.

I also think I need a modified hood. I'm thinking of a barn roof shape,or anything to keep people from setting their stuff on my hood. It used to be my kids, now even my wife has even started piling things on it. This is just a working tractor, but it still irritates me.

I also think I need a modified hood. I'm thinking of a barn roof shape,or anything to keep people from setting their stuff on my hood. It used to be my kids, now even my wife has even started piling things on it. This is just a working tractor, but it still irritates me.
Then they'll pile it up on your seat! LOL

Just get them all together, and inform them that anything found sitting on your tractor will be placed in the trash! :bear::errrr:

New tube with a nut to hold the valve stem in place. It’s a nice Kenda tube, but pricey at $30.

60332920-8FE5-4B02-BC4C-DEE89E92C0D5.jpeg

I’m less than thrilled with the lack of a rubber seal, or centering method. There is a formed nut at the tube, and this removable nut that goes on the outside of the wheel. You may be able to see that the stem is misaligned a bit in the hole...grrr!

Strange, the photo makes it look like the tire is flat-ish, but it is not. Digital photos lie.

Back