• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New to me "sad" 782, so I will need lots of help here

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take pictures, clean, bag and label small parts and hardware.
Down load all the manuals for the piece of equipment you are working on.
You will thank me later!

What’s the trick to removing a front wheel from a 782? Do I need a ”wheel” puller?

Take the bolt out and it will (should) pull right off with little or no effort whatsoever.
Unless of course, it has been left in the elements and never serviced rusting the axle proper to the inner race of the bearing.

Remember this is a “sad” 782. I had to pound with a piece of wood. I got one off, but it left its inner bearing behind (and it has paint on the outboard side!?). I cleaned it up with a Nyalox brush in a drill, but then I couldn’t get the tire loose. It may have adhesive in it.

i did notice that the outer bearing land on that side has a groove, so I may need a spindle or two...two. The other one has a sad bend.

That’s as far as I got before my wife caught me interrupting her house painting. For some reason, she has begun to notice all of the dings in the woodwork, so I have lots of work to do.

Sad score to date:
1) Steering column outer tube has gash from driveshaft letting go. Have replacement column/gearbox, not installed.
2) Hydro fan and filter damaged by other end of driveshaft when it exited. Replaced.
3) Left head was loose. Replaced gasket, torqued.
4) Fuel outlet was gunked up, and its screen was crushed. On order.
5) Rear tires leaked. One while you watched. Tubed.
6) Hydraulic lift lever was out of place And jammed. Corrected.
7) Driveshaft needed replacement, along with rag joints, bearings, and mount plate. All replaced.
8) Left spindle is grooved...or is that groovy? It can wait.
9) Right spindle is bent. It can also wait.
10) Fuel in tank was no good. Flushed.
11) Needed battery, and all connections cleaned. Done.

+++When it gets enough clean fuel, it runs like a champ!

It also came with no mower deck, or PTO, but I can’t score those.

Not my description, but the seller's. I think he was embarrassed to ask for the $100 I gave for it. He had it advertised with an 1810, and couldn't understand why I was not interested in the nicer 1810...(I wanted the hydraulic lift).

I was only able to sneak free of my honey-dos long enough to paint one front wheel this weekend (Plus, I couldn’t get the other one off, it seems the bearings want to stay in place).

I t looks decent from one side, but from the other, it is still sad. I never expected to paint these wheels, or even wheels with these tires' but here we are just trying to make It look a bit more presentable.

I made the front I took off angry, too. It used to hold air with no leakage. Now it leaks down in 20 minutes. I guess I need a tube, or MORE Slime, or whatever was in there. I never did get the tire off of the bead enough to slide a cardboard paint mask under the bead.

3A66DC58-10ED-479A-BD2D-5A196923B30D.jpeg
77DAB043-3FB8-4140-84E5-AB203DB25B46.jpeg

Oh, and as soon as I got it put back together, and put away, #3 son rolls up, and pushes out my 782 to work on a Craftsman he and his buddy are making into a go-kart. They’re putting a side shaft 13 hp into a vertical shaft mower. At least the 13 horse won’t have to live in my garage anymore. Now it’s raining on the sad tractor.

I plan to keep it original colors except for that red drive tunnel cover! The tractor came without one, and the guy I got the tunnel cover, a mule drive, an electric mower PTO, a steering box/column, and a driveshaft from only had the tunnel cover in red.

I just wanted a cover, any cover. Should the tunnel cover be white, or yellow?

I’m thinking if I repaint the white portions properly, there may not be enough yellow to make it look too bad. I might also repaint the fender pan. I like projects that I can remove to paint. I am not set up to have a rolling chassis with parts everywhere. I made a makeshift paint booth under my deck once for #3 son’s first go kart, but there is a 149 parked there now...

I may have mentioned once or twice that I bought this 782 with the intention of using it for ground-engaging equipment. (Sometimes referred to as geeq... Hello, my name is Jim and I am a geeq freak.)

Recently, I have been in search of a Gannon Earthcavator (thanks, Steve!). I have good news and bad news about the search. The good news is that they are fairly easy to find. The bad news is that the ones I find, are 6 feet wide. Anybody want to split one? No really, how difficult would it be to fab up a new end for each half, plus reconfigure the hitch, and add one handle set?

I posted this on another thread, so I thought I should include it in this one:

366BE1C3-FF2C-4F0B-92E5-A68233D084C4.jpeg

Wooden hood ornament presumably from a scrap of deck lumber. I know you are all jealous of this one-of-a-kind item.

I got the other front wheel off for painting today. The inner bearing stayed in place just like the other side did. I guess I need some new bearings so I can risk damaging them getting them during removal.
CB759542-34B9-499D-9110-2F713CE37363.jpeg

This side looks pitted, but the outer bearing land is smooth. The other side is not pitted, but it is grooved where the outer bearing fits. There’s always something...

I also installed my barbell wheel weights onto my freshly painted wheels and scarred them up a bit. 60# seems to have gotten heavier in the 15 years since I last installed them.

Attachments

• 41D4B5E2-9A4C-4785-9A4F-C3FA8ECEEF41.jpeg
    41D4B5E2-9A4C-4785-9A4F-C3FA8ECEEF41.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 4B151912-9064-41B3-9617-97BAEC061983.jpeg
    4B151912-9064-41B3-9617-97BAEC061983.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 18ECBD61-34D0-4B25-ADFC-7A2E3A83F513.jpeg
    18ECBD61-34D0-4B25-ADFC-7A2E3A83F513.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 84
The front wheel bearings rotate freely. The inner races are just rusted onto their knuckles.

Back