• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New to me "sad" 782, so I will need lots of help here

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish he would too.

Kraig, please let Ken know that one of his pin tools just got put to work for the first time today, and it worked great, and many thanks to him for it.

Wow, that's the first time I have seen one of the Weaver pin drivers and now I want one. If I can't find one it's off to my machinist friend. A couple of other notes. My machinist friend, Tom, happened to be visiting when I pulled the motor out of my Red 682 and saw the spacers. He's big on releasing stress on things since he is a certified air frame welder even titanium. I digress, he took a couple of measurements and the next day I had four square stainless spacers to put back under my engine which I like better to spread the mount stress. Second note on the lower tin. I wanted to leave the lower tin off after a head replacement so I check head torque after some time of running. I made some supports from flat steel to support the upper tin so the air would be pushed out when mowing. It took some heating and shaping on the anvil, but the brackets work well and are bolted to the engine where the tin bolts on. 🙂🇺🇲

It runs and drives! I had to follow my own advice from another thread on troubleshooting a no-start condition when it wouldn’t crank, but now it starts, runs, and drives ... and whines. (Never had a hydro before.). Mower is next. Thanks to all for help, encouragement, and parts sourcing.

/\ Thanks for the info on the lower tin. Those numbers on that pin tool seem like they may be Ken’s phone number. Area Code 606 comes up KY.

I wish he would too.

Kraig, please let Ken know that one of his pin tools just got put to work for the first time today, and it worked great, and many thanks to him for it.

I emailed Ken a screen capture of Greg's and your post.

Thanks Kraig.

Well, it’s not ready for everyday use, but it does most of what it is supposed to: It cranks, starts, runs, drives, charges, and raises and lowers the implement lift. I haven’t put the new used mower PTO on yet, or gone through the new used deck, so mowing is a while off yet, but my yard is tiny.

It doesn’t like to run well for very long. I’m thinking fuel, or spark related, probably fuel. How important are the fuel pumps on the 782s? It runs fine for a few minutes, then begins to run rough, it might hunt a bit, then stumbles, and stalls.
Possibilities I can think of:
Intermittent fuel pump problem
Residual bad fuel in tank
Crud from tank now clogging carb passages
Coil getting hot, then cooling off

I tested this engine after peeking inside of one cylinder, and ran a fuel line out of my fresh 5 gallon can to the pump. It had to pull fuel from ground level, so when the pump works, it seems to be good. I did not run very long like this, but I had full rpm range, and very few misfires, or stumbles. I revv’ed it long enough, and high enough that my 18 year old son told me to stop pissing off the neighbors. I thought that was an interesting role reversal, and I just learned today that word has spread through the neighborhood about my 782 project, so he may have been right.

Before testing, I had the carb off, and peeked in the bowl, and it looked very clean.

I poured what fuel I could out the filler of the 782 fuel tank, and put the firewall and tank back on the tractor.

I got anxious, and did not install a fuel filter in the line like I know I should have.

I have tried to run the tractor to burn as much fuel through it as I can, but it might be getting worse, and only runs for a minute or two now.

Should I try It out of the gas can again?

I could definitely use some photos of the carb, linkage, and cables. Full closed and full open choke and throttle, cable routing and mounting. I have a tiny amount of lever movement that produces full rpm range. No rush though. It’ll be Friday before I get to look at it again.

These are from my 782. Hope they help.

Attachments

• CIMG5430.JPG
    CIMG5430.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 181
  • CIMG5432.JPG
    CIMG5432.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 184
  • CIMG5433.JPG
    CIMG5433.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 195
  • CIMG5429.JPG
    CIMG5429.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 196
Thanks for the prompt photos WH! They should help a lot. I already see my throttle is in the wrong link. What position is the choke lever in for photo CIMG5429? I checked when I had it off, but can’t remember where the arm is when the butterfly is open or closed, and I think it has close to 180 degrees of motion available depending upon what the cable mount allows.

I know how you feel, I have hidden so many parts and pieces of hardware from myself over the years.
facepalm.gif

Dang it! It was points that I bought, not a condenser. Can’t Remember Some Stuff, Remember Other Stuff Wrong! I think my Kohler guy still has one though.

Found one from my 126 days. Parts lookup says they’re not the same-or even close by the looks of the two. Also found some new Kohler rings, and a few old single K-series goodies. Fun stuff, although not productive.

Last edited:
And the list grows:
Possibilities I can think of:
Intermittent fuel pump problem
Residual bad fuel in tank
Crud from tank now clogging carb passages
Coil getting hot, then cooling off
Condenser
Clogged fuel cap vent-the float mechanism was rusty, so this may be a good bet

Since sad is in the thread title, I thought I’d share one I would call sad looking listed locally. It seems like a decent deal including deck, blade, and “minor” knock, but I think behind those big bright eyes is a sad little tractor that wants to look like it should again. Note the gray stipe above the decal. Is that a duct tape accent stripe?

1619752337736.jpeg

My bride has been pretty good about the “sad” new addition to the household, so I took a little detour from working on the 782. I was cleaning up getting ready to uncover her pool this morning when I inadvertently tried some strength testing on the cover, and it failed. Note the forum member sized slit at left of the slide.

F431628D-6374-4025-844E-296C18C5CC89.jpeg

I was concentrating on the muck I was dragging off of the cover too much, and paying too little attention to my footing.

I bet you can't get her to patch that like my wife did with the 85 Special bag! Come to think of it, I am still kind of paying for that - she keeps coming up with projects for me - none of them have anything to do with IH cubs:roflol:

She already spent more on chlorine than I have spent on the 782

...so far.

Tarp pool covers are only good for a few years. I think this was the third on that one. No sense patching it. The patch would be the only sound portion.

John, you may have to store a new phone number for me. Will find out next week.

A few observations, and things I (think I) know so far:
and some of them only lead to more questions.

-The KT17 shroud and air filter claim to be Series 2.
-The Spec. is 24302, but is that just the shroud, or actually the engine?
-There is no oil filter.
-One cylinder is slightly egg-shaped, but it has a std piston, and valve clearances of 6 and 11.
-There seems to be an oil leak at a case joint that does not look like fun to correct.
-The hydraulic lift valve may be frozen. It looks like a P.O. may have tried too hard to move the lever, and forced it out of one end of its mount, leading me to think the valve did not cooperate.
-The fender pan has an IH label on it, not a CCC...does the serial number back that up?
-I.D. tags are easier to decipher when they are not monochromatic:
View attachment 142993
I give up! I tried three times to get that photo to roll over on its side.

Attachments

• 782 I.D. tag.landscape.jpg
    782 I.D. tag.landscape.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 123
Progress report:
The search for a rear lift has stalled. I can only find a few narrow frame units. What gets me is there is a part out guy 3 or 4 hours from me who I’m sure has the casting, but he is in the process of moving, so he isn’t answering parts requests right now. I can buy everything but the casting new. The Xtreme Cat 0 unit is very tempting, but 3 times the cost of a sleeve hitch, and I’m not sure I’m ready to get that deep in this tractor-yet.

I reinforced the breaks in the grille with J.B. Weld, and I may have gotten some on the hotel bed spread. Shhhh.

This weekend I plan to install tubes in the rear tires. That should be a fun wrestling match. I’m still debating if I will liquid-fill them now, or later. Now where is that liquid-fill adapter that I last used 15 years ago?

Back