• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New-to-me LX46 XT2

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Brandt

displayname
mbrandt1402
My Craftsman riding mower died several days ago after nearly 30 years of service, including a couple of years blowing snow off of our 1/4 mile long driveway. After looking at a few JDs that people thought were still worth what they sold for new 3 or 4 years ago, I found a '19 LX46 with the snow blower attachment. The machine had only been used for 4 hours (we didn't get a lot of snow last winter), and the mower had never been used. I took care of that as soon as I got it home.

My initial observations:
  • My goodness, this thing is powerful with the 24 hp Kohler. I had to run the old mower with a 42" deck at a much higher RPM to muscle through tall grass on our drain field. The new mower powers through it at part throttle.
  • The "no mow in reverse" feature is annoying, but I gather there is a technique to get around that. If it only killed the blades while you were backing up, then automatically resumed when you started forward, it would be so much better.
  • I need to understand the "cruise control". One of the things I did with my Craftsman was to put the throttle and transmission control levers into the "cruise" notches to establish a repeatable ground speed when I spray the shoulders of my driveway. I measured how many gallons the sprayer would dispense during a round trip along the driveway at that speed, then calculated the concentration of RM43 I needed to apply for weed control. Any tips on how to make the CC run at a repeatable speed other than flat-out would be appreciated.
  • It was a little disappointing to find that CC will not transfer the warranty.
As I researched LX46 mowers, I found specs that indicated the machines were Kawi powered, which made my purchase decision at $3k a no-brainer. Then I found that starting in 2021, there are LX46s with a Cub Cadet engine and LX 46s with 21.5 hp Kawasaki engines. Notice the space between the X and 4 - that was the only difference I found on the CC website for the two models. The hood shape on the used '19 LX46 suggested it had the Cub Cadet engine, for which I could not easily find a power rating. I was bummed enough to cancel my appointment to go look at the used LX46, but then I realized that I really didn't know what engine was in a '19, since the Kawi model debuted in '21. I asked the seller to check, and he provided the 24 hp Kohler info. At that point I un-cancelled the appointment and stopped at the bank to get the cash, then the seller agreed to drop the price $100 to make up for the non-transferrable warranty.

I think I did very well on this purchase, and I'm looking forward to absorbing info from this forum.

The xt2 lx46 has the kawi engine, which across the industry is considered an upgrade over the kohler, or Briggs for that matter. The xt1 lx46 is a cheaper built machine almost all around, and it's available with the Cub cadet engine or the kohler, depending on model. The Kawasaki wasn't available in the cub until this year, and you will notice the xt2 also has a new hood, and it's only available with a fabricated deck.

I just checked the cubcadet website again. Here is a link to the two XT2 *46 models, that exist online if not in reality.

The LX46 has the Cub Cadet engine and older hood. The LX 46 has the Kawi, "Storm Trooper" hood & grille, and a fabbed deck.

However it plays out, I'm really happy with my new machine, which now appears to be an early 2020, and not a '19.

I just checked the cubcadet website again. Here is a link to the two XT2 *46 models, that exist online if not in reality.

The LX46 has the Cub Cadet engine and older hood. The LX 46 has the Kawi, "Storm Trooper" hood & grille, and a fabbed deck.

However it plays out, I'm really happy with my new machine, which now appears to be an early 2020, and not a '19.
When did Cub Cadet start making engines?

Cub has had branded cub cadet engines for a few years now. Its mainly available on the efi models and the intelipower models. I have been told they are the same company that makes the engines that are branded for other companies, like ariens. I believe they are manufactured over seas.
The two xt2 lx46 models seem to be the old model, and the new model. My dealer said they are offering the old model on line until dealer inventories are gone, which in most places was last year. Both are awesome machines, as far as new lawn tractors go, and will provide years of reliable service, but there are obvious advantages between the two, hence the $600 difference.

As far as your cruise control goes, on my xt2 lx46, it seems to only work at just under half speed and at full speed, and my xt2 gx54d is the same. My wife has the xt2 slx50, but she said she has never used it. I never use it either because it's either to fast or to slow. Not what you wanted to hear for sure, but it's how my three are. The gx54d is in the back barn and why it's not in this pic.
20210511_200157.jpg

Thanks for the reply - it reinforces what I observed, though I didn't find the "top gear" setting.

I'm going to look at the mechanism and see if I can modify it in some way so I can set the cruise at the same speed each time. I think if I could reliably get the cruise control set to the top of the slower speed range, it would be fine for spraying my driveway.

Back