• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

new purchase..need a little help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary, back last summer when I was working on getting my 107 going, I discovered the same thing the hard way! Old S/G was bad, wouldn't spin fast enough or with enough power. After cleaning it it couldn't make up it's mind which way to rotate, it was shaking back and forth.
Rather strange, but that's okay, I had a spare off a Briggs 10hp laying around. Little did I know, it was mounted the opposite direction on that engine, so once on my 107 everything spun backwards!

With a little experimenting, I found that I was able to correct the issue by swapping the good armature from the S/G that spun the wrong way into the casing of the original S/G that was no good. The result was a fast, strong S/G with possibly more power than needed, as the Briggs didn't have a compression release.
JP thanks for the input !!

Set the points so they just break as the S mark is centered in the hole.
Thanks Dave,I was very curious how others would explain without using a meter. FOR NEWBIES who have never pulled the cover off an engine....this is what's left of a mouse condominium packed around the shroud.It is totally common with small engines that set for awhile.It doesn't keep the engine from running but will cause serious over heat from lack of air circulation.If you see grass clippings sticking out from under cover ,or fuzz, better look...The second pic is easy fix for tank wrap..bicycle inner tube.....AND got the 128 running this a.m. (on carb cleaner)....This is a clue...lots of corrosion in main switch,bad condenser,and puffing out carb....Pulled head,lots of carbon build up and some corrosion around valves..Ran each valve up and wire brushed with drill all around the head and seat.Came out good so I put the old gasket back on ,screwed it down snug.Rolled it over and no carb blow so valve was seating again...a shot of carb cleaner and it was running and blowin' mouse crap all over..all good so far....

Attachments

• 100_1392.JPG
    100_1392.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_1393.JPG
    100_1393.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 235
I have to check all my small engines every spring for mouse nests. They really seem to like the B&S engine on my tiller. :mad: On occasion they have also nested in the B&S engine on my push mower. They leave the B&S engine on my log splitter alone though. So far no issues with the Kohlers.

I've had good luck with my Kohlers too. 147 not so much, but it did sit in a swamp for 15 years so I understand that. It seems that Briggs and Stratton engines have a few more gaps for mice to crawl through than the Kohlers do. Many times I've found mouse nests under the shrouds on a Briggs engine.

But, sometimes you get that oddball one that's been sitting for a while but is really surprisingly clean underneath. I bought a 4 hp standalone Briggs for $20 at a local barn sale last year, and took it apart expecting the worst. But instead, I found a brand spankin' new coil, points, and condenser! Didn't take very long to get that one running, although it does have some carb issues.

Gary, sorry for the hijack, but I like that Briggs and can't resist posting a photo of it :errrr:

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_181410.jpg
    IMG_20210408_181410.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 206
Gary, sorry for the hijack, but I like that Briggs and can't resist posting a photo of it :errrr:
JP, no problem at all....So....the 128 now runs on gas!!!! clutch works...gear shift works..pto works...gen.works...I've got plans to do a couple of unique things to it but it will be a while before posting...No applause just send money :errrr: Some day Jp I'm going to put pics of my small engine collection on here.....

One thing to check on your kohler engines is make sure you have a steel breaker plunger rod.
If it is aluminum replace it, kohler had a service bulletin back in the day when I was a dealer.

Mouse Nests - ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
There's one in my Son's 169 and it's so bad you can't even rotate the drive shaft. I'm hoping to visit him in the next couple months and pull that sweet 13 fin cast iron K341A and get those buggers out of there.

Took the 128 for a test drive..runs great,shifts great, even the clutch feels right.Took a little coaxing to get deck to roll(loosened by hand first) and it shook like a dog shedding water.That will be quite a project only because they are heavy to handle....feeling pretty good about a barn find so far...An old friend used to say when he was in his eighties "never give up"

Mouse Nests - ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
There's one in my Son's 169 and it's so bad you can't even rotate the drive shaft. I'm hoping to visit him in the next couple months and pull that sweet 13 fin cast iron K341A and get those buggers out of there.
Cayenne Pepper powder applied carefully at access points, and on existing nest site.

Back