• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Member in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Leach

IHCC Supporter
Hello! Last week I acquired a Model 169 that I plan to restore and then use to move a lot of sand (which is about all there is to dig and move hereabouts). As the photos indicate it is in pretty rough shape and when added to the Scout II (which I've owned for over thirty years) is now my second IH collectible. Oh, and my dog's name is Scout too (also). She's already trying to figure out where she'll sit when it's time to go for a ride! The tractor came with a cultivator, snow blower and lawn mowing attachment that I don't think I'll need. We shall see! I've already ditched the standup muffler!
20210621_142030_03.jpg
20210624_153637 (2).jpg
20210702_094031.jpg

Henry,
Welcome to the forum!
Nice score on that 169. It don't look all that bad from here. I see it has a rear tiller also. Protect those rear lights, they are almost impossible to find. Love that scout too. I had a 68' IH pickup I wish I had never let it go.

Welcome
Where in the UP? I love it up there, but don't get up often. Friend of mine has a camp near Lake Linden.
Is that a dealer sticker still on the back of the seat?

Welcome Aboard Henry. Nice Scout! and the 4 wheeled one too! :cool:

Great score on the 169. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Thanks Robert. However, the plot has thickened because yesterday I bought a 149 and am faced with a dilemma that I'd like to describe and solicit opinions with regard to my plan to resolve it. I started out with the intention of acquiring a 129, or 149 or 169 based on having watched the Isaveoldtractor videos that result in a bucket loader and backhoe mounted on the tractor. (I live about 150 feet from Lake Superior and my place is built on and surrounded by 100% beach sand. Not much to mow or cultivate here but I need to do quite a bit of trenching and moving sand around hence the bucket loader and backhoe.
So after a couple of days searching Facebook Marketplace up popped the 169 and with beginners luck I snagged it. It was only then that I started to realize the 169 model is a rare beast and now I don't think I want to make the changes to it that will basically wipe out its "personality". The right thing to do would be to restore it to original as much as possible and then pass it on to another owner who will appreciate it.
However, I still need to dig and move sand. Lo-and-behold, yesterday I bought another tractor and it's a 149. Doesn't have any accessories but I don't need them and I'm thinking that since the 149s are a lot more numerous I wouldn't be hurting much by using that one for the bucket/backhoe project.
So, in a nutshell, I think the 169 should be restored and the 149 put to work on the sand pile. I can swap some of the better looking parts like the grille and such to the 169 and that will make the resto plan a lot easier and less expensive. Do I have this about right?
149 Tractor.jpg

Henry, you have it right. More Cub Cadets make things better.

Welcome have fun with the restoration and all the new attachments.

Depending on how you do things I think you can make either work! I put a cad digger loader onto my 1512. The only modification was 3 holes (1/2”) drilled into the frame. Basically I used existing holes when designing/building the sub frame. With some careful planning you can meet your needs with limited modifications. Check out the thread.

https://www.ihcubcadet.com/threads/cadplan-loader-for-1512.8295/#post-219745
These machine can do a lot of work!

Good Luck.

Greetings from one yooper to another! Us cub guys are far an few between up here. Nice machines, you'll love using them. I tell my wife they are the most fun i can have, with my pants on! On inland lakes, a blower is really nice for getting out on the ice, with weights and chains on the rear. Haven't had my cub out on the big lake yet, but it's on my bucket list!

Back