• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Member from NC - Cub 1864

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken, professional job getting the nuts off..The bearings are an easy replace...A flat pointed rod from opposite side will drive out a bearing...If there is a spacer between them pay attention,more than once I've had to take new bearings out because I forgot spacer..It is a good thought to be sure new brg will slide on spindle bolt before you assemble...might have picked a burr somewhere.. good job!!!

Before you go putting the spindles back together, I would get a package each of 0.005" and 0.010" arbor shims from McMaster-Carr so you can more precisely shim the bearings. That spacer between them ends ups wearing if the spindle is is not torqued correctly, and it is really not optimally set up from the factory. You want them such that when everything is torqued, there is no play yet no drag on the spindle when it is rotated.

You can look up parts diagrams here to see what is different between the 42" and 54" deck and subframe. Replacement Parts & Service | Cub Cadet US

Good evening! The owner of the deck[1] on fb marketplace wrote back and informed me that the deck is a 48" deck off a 2185 model cub. I checked a previous forum post here 1864 Deck Questions and the link posted to the compatible decks for conversion did not show this model.

This document here:
https://cdn2.imagearchive.com/ihcub...12-Scan-of-fitting-older-decks-on-cyclops.pdf

Would any of the more experienced cub owners have a recommendation for this deck and it's compatibility with the 1864? Any advice would be helpful as the drive is about an hour 1 way to take a peak at the deck in question. I'll try and post pics if the owner will send them over in the morning. Hopefully they come with a model number.

Thanks for helping a fellow cub out!

[1] Deck in question - Log in or sign up to view

Agree with 1811. I have a 2185 with a 48" deck and an 1862 with a 54" and an 1862 with a 50c deck. The deck mounting systems are different between the cyclops tractors and the 2000 series. Not saying it couldn't be done. But it couldn't be done without modifications.

Kenny...Just to put in my two cents ........My 1812 deck is a 50 inch which was in use last year and is still in good condition. I hate to sell it without the tractor, but Joe Biden's economy is forcing me to realize I need to. I'll let it go for $250, but the tractor is also available for another $250 if anyone is interested. Also, the 124 with a good mower deck is now available for $325 With low hour factory rebuilt 12hp Kohler.Thanks...Grampa Rich

Kenny, I believe that should be a 50c deck and should fit tho you might need the mule drive that went with it.

Can somebody confirm or deny that the 50c mule drive is different than the 44C? Pulleys offset because of deck pulley location? Or is that the 54 gt deck I'm thinking of?

From what I can see, the rear quick attach points and the front hangers are the difference in mounting - but it should be the same deck, correct?
If so, wouldn't he be able to take the mounts from his old deck and attach to this one from the 2185?...or are there other differences I'm not aware of?

@Rich Donohue That is generous of you. Do you have a model number for the deck? If it is compatible (which I think it is), I'm very interested. Please feel free to send me your information in a direct message and we can exchange info.
Kenny....... I hope this is the direct message thingie.... remember I'm an old geezer..........I don't know which number is which, but the silkscreened number is 359190 and the stamped number is 265167......

From what I can see, the rear quick attach points and the front hangers are the difference in mounting - but it should be the same deck, correct?
If so, wouldn't he be able to take the mounts from his old deck and attach to this one from the 2185?...or are there other differences I'm not aware of?

Deck shell and spindles are the same, everything else is different. I don't think the 42" deck stuff would work, but some time spent in the parts lookup would show the differences.

Screenshot_2022-10-17-12-11-07-79_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

There you go... might be a little drive but that's a steal. Includes the mule drive...

@PACub100 I've been watching these ads like a hawk. Thanks for sharing. I saw this one a couple of days and here is what the drive looks like (one way):
1666025348971.png

Is that worth the 12 hours round-trip? That is a great price with the mule drive. I saw a few other decks in PA as well but those are 8-9+ hours.

I know I haven't posted much but I did spend some time working on tractor:
- tail lights - one was cracked and both lights had burned out. I purchased replacement lights. I pulled out the multi-meter to ensure the voltage was getting to the light connectors. Everything looked good.
- greased the front wheel bearings. I had one grease fitting come out of the right front wheel wheel so I took the wheel off. Removed the grease, replaced the fitting, and then repacked the bearing and the wheel with lots of grease.
- started working on the paint - lots of discoloration and needs a really good cleaning. Tried a few different cleaners and wasn't having a lot of luck with that. Another forum post suggested buffing with a specific compound so I started doing that and I'm very pleased with the plastic and the paint coming around. I'll post better pics when I get a chance.
- Spent 3 days separating the deck tensioner pulley bolt. That thing was rusted solid. I destroyed the bolt while attempting to remove it. I purchased a used tensioner pulley w/bolt for the same cost as the shoulder bolt itself. Still in the mail.
- deck lowering gauge - This was completely missing so I ordered one from ebay. I put a couple of rivets and reattached the gauge.

I ordered the hydraulic fluid a while back and cub cadet says that they are back ordered until 10/20. When that arrives I plan on doing that maintenance. I bought a rear gasket. Hopefully that goes smooth.

@Rich Donohue also reached out. I'm going to hopefully chat with him regarding his deck. If I can make it up to his place.

Thanks for looking out for me fellow cubbers! This community is great!

Figure 385 miles one way, 770 miles total...if you have a pickup that can average 25 mpg that's about 31 gallons - about $125 in gas.
For that deck with mule drive, that's pretty decent (as long as the paint and grass isn't covering rust holes and holding the thing together).

The 54" deck on my 1864 just goes through about anything with ease - I couldn't imagine running a smaller deck.

The mule forks pictured with that 54" deck don't look correct to me. Those look like 44/50c forks.

Back