• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New member 1450 owner

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

Just purchased a 1450 with a 50 inch deck. I owned a 70 series years ago and keep kicking myself for getting rid of it. I been looking for a tractor for a while for working around the house and all the new stuff seems to be made cheaply or it was out of my price range. When I found the 1450 I figured with a little work I can restore it and have a tractor that I'm proud off. I worked as a Automotive Technician and also did car restoration for years, Now that I'm older I sell automotive parts for one of the big 3 car manufactures. I have found this forum to be filled with valuable information. I to be able to add to it as I begin my project. My first project is to rebuild the ross steering box since there is to much play in it, Seem like a straight forward job so I don't expect any surprises. I did find my RF spindle was bad. Some let a bearing go bad and eat a grove into it then to fix they just slapped a cheap bearing over the ground down spot. Not sure how I will fix yet. A new Spindle is a bit pricey at 230 something since its only 3/4 inch. My other options i seen I can buy just the spindle part and weld it into the out part or I might just weld up the grove and file it back into shape. I'll need to look at it closer to decide what I'm going to do.

Thanks for let me me be a member

Chris Seymore

Welcome Chris! If you haven't yet, check out the FAQs page of the forum for a ton of good info on various things (like rebuilding the steering box).

Welcome Chris from another PA'r, I too have a 1450 along with a 100, 124 and a 1650. I really like the 1450 hydro. 👍👍

Something you can check is the front axle center bushing. I was replacing the steering components (check out Kirks Engine at top of the page 👍) and noticed that mine is bad creating a good deal of slop when turning back and forth... so I'll have to dig into that.
Also, you can find plenty of parts Cubs here in Cubsylvania... probably cheaper and easier to get a replacement spindle then trying to fix yours.

Welcome Chris from another PA'r, I too have a 1450 along with a 100, 124 and a 1650. I really like the 1450 hydro. 👍👍

Something you can check is the front axle center bushing. I was replacing the steering components (check out Kirks Engine at top of the page 👍) and noticed that mine is bad creating a good deal of slop when turning back and forth... so I'll have to dig into that.
Also, you can find plenty of parts Cubs here in Cubsylvania... probably cheaper and easier to get a replacement spindle then trying to fix yours.
The axle center bushing is on my list. I plan on getting though the summer and do it when I pull the motor out this winter. Hate to have it sit during the summer

Hello Chris and welcome to the best IH Cub Cadet Forum on the internet. The Model 1450 is one of my favorites. It was actually the very first of many IH Cub Cadets I ever owned. The 1450 is part of the Quiet Line series, which was the first time IH built garden tractors with fully enclosed engines.
You can get an electronic copy of the Service Manual in the Manuals thread on here. The naming of the manual is a little odd since, for some reason IH combined 2 different series tractors into 1 manual. IH included the previous series (1x8/9) and the Quiet Line (QL). To help you out here's a link:
http://ccmanuals.info/pdf/1x8-9 & QL Service Manual.pdfThe spindle problem you mentioned is somewhat common in my experience. People are supposed to lubricate the wheel bearings at least once a year and check/adjust the end play, but they just don't do it. I don't know how it really happens but often times the bearing works its way out of the wheel and with to much end play the bearing angles itself on the spindle and starts to cut into it, which is what sounds like happened to yours. I wouldn't hesitate to look for a used 3/4" spindle since there are many of them around, and they were used on the 1x8/9 series as well as the early Quiet Line series (the later production QL series had a 1" spindle).
Sure would be nice to see some pics of your tractor.
Good luck with it.

Thanks Harry,

That's exactly what happened to the spindle. it looks like this thing hasn't seen a grease gun for a long time the bearings where dry as a bone. I haven't been able to find a 3/4 spindle yet except for a new one which isn't in the budget. I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right spot yet.
The manual will come in handy as I begin getting this piece back up to 100%

Chris

Back