• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New here with a 1968 125

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Gibb

Hi,
I have recently picked up the model 125 and have some questions. It runs and drives as is. It came with a 48" mower deck. My intent is to service it and fix up a few issues and then eventually restore it.

Here are a few of my questions.

1) Should this tractor have the narrow front wheels? Were the wider ones an option or common upgrade? Does anyone reproduce tires similar to the originals (front and rear)

2) Most 125s that I see have the vertical stripes in the headlight panel. Is the blue panel on this tractor original?

3) Are reproduction covers available for the seat?

4) Are the headlights supposed to come on any time the unit is running? I don't see a switch and they do not currently work.

5) Lastly, what is the best source for a parts list and service manual?

Thanks,
Adam

IMG-4031.jpg
IMG-4030.jpg
IMG-4029.jpg
IMG-4028.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
As for your questions, a lot of them can be answered by looking at the frequently asked questions thread.

The standard front tires on a 125 were 4.80/4.00-8. The 16x6.50-8 tires were optional.
Miller Tire would probably be your best bet for "similar" style tires.

The headlight panel appears to be the previous series of cubs panel. These models are 71, 102, 122, and 123.

Yes, you can find a aftermarket seat cover. Charlie has them (CCSpecialties), along with almost any part you may ever need.

The lights come on by a switch. It should be located on the side of the dash tower.
A service manual can also be found on this site. You will just have to look a little to find it. :bluethumbsup:

WELCOME! Your 125 appears to be in very good condition! As Marty mentioned the headlight panel appears to be from the previous series of Cub Cadet, the tail lamp housing is also from the previous series. The factory style for the 125 would be a small oval lamp mounted on the panel below the seat. Here's a photo from a brochure, note the tail lamp to the left of the IH logo. Also note the small oval reflector mounted on top of the fender by the man's hand, there should be one on each fender.

125_Brochure20toolbox.jpg

The factory location for the light switch is indicated by the red arrow that I added. The factory switch would be a pull on/push off style switch. Whatever is where I added the red circle is not a standard location for any factory equipment, but it does look like a pull type switch that is missing the knob.

153743-IMG-4029-1.jpg

Here's what the light switch should look like.

Light Switch_02.jpg

The seat can be reupholstered, be sure to save that blue edging as it is no longer available but can be reused. Here's a photo of a seat that I had reupholstered many years ago. Note that this seat pan is larger than the metal pan seat used on some model Cub Cadets like the Original, the model 70, 100, 71, 72 and 73. The covers for those will not fit the fiberglass pan seat. Covers made for the full size IH tractors, like the model H or M for example, should fit.

Seat_01.jpg

The left side (as sitting on the tractor) spindle cap has been altered. This is frequently modified to some extent as it is typically worn excessively and the cause of loose steering.

153742-IMG-4030-2.jpg

Here's a factory original style, best photo I could find. It is held on with a SPIROL pin, aka "coiled roll pin." The hole for the SPIROL pin would get wallowed out and the cap would then be loose.

Spindle_01.jpg

Thanks you for the replies.
I was wondering about the headlight panel. This makes sense. I like the correct decal for the 125 panel better, but like the earlier taillight. The original taillight resembles the one on my WH C-160.

Sharp eyes on the steering modification. I will have to dig into that.

Currently, the pushbutton switch on the side of the dash has to be held while turning the key for the starter to work. I had a feeling that was incorrect. I will dig into the wiring. It is likely a high current switch and possibly doing the job of a faulty solenoid.

So much to learn on these.

I forgot to mention, the hood ornament is on backwards. Many of them seem to be, not sure why.

Welcome to the site,you definitely have a nice 125.I have one also and found my parts thru Charlie.And if you have a question, take a picture and ask it.The guys here have lots of knowledge and are always willing to help

Back