• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New from Arkansas!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Daily

Good evening all! I am new to this forum, I have always loved the old cubs and recently bought one at an estate auction. I am wanting to get it going and get it back to the original state or as close as possible (if my son doesn’t decide he wants a pulling tractor haha). The gentleman said it was a 1971 model 71, however after some research I don’t think it is, it has a kohler k301a motor and the only number plate I found has an 81 on it. So as much help as possible would be GREATLY appreciated lol

Attachments

• 88961BAA-A777-451F-81C4-71F939AA2FB1.jpeg
    88961BAA-A777-451F-81C4-71F939AA2FB1.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 7F08F17E-1705-46AF-98FF-AFA3AD40578B.jpeg
    7F08F17E-1705-46AF-98FF-AFA3AD40578B.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 61
Hello! I’m from mountain home! Nice find!
That’s a 12hp motor on that unit. I don’t think that is original to that unit! Also, think you might have a cub cadet 100 model.
Others will chime in.

Andrew, WELCOME! That is either a very early 100 or it's a 70. The acorn nut on the steering wheel was only used a short time on the 100 but the 70 continued on with it. In either case, the 12hp is not original. The 100 would have had a 10hp and the 70 would have had a 7hp.

Here's an excerpt from an early 70/100 brochure:

70-100_Broc_2_03a.jpg

Here's an excerpt from a later 70/100 brochure. Note the seat's shown in this image were the optional deluxe seat. Also note that the steering wheel on the 100 is fancier and has a decorative center hub that covers the nut while the 70 has the acorn nut.

100_Brochure03a.jpg

One other thing to note is that the early 70/100 had a large battery box, which yours has. Later on they had a smaller battery box.

All sounds good: acorn nuts are cool, big battery box is useful, and 12 hp is close to double 7.

Andrew, WELCOME! That is either a very early 100 or it's a 70. The acorn nut on the steering wheel was only used a short time on the 100 but the 70 continued on with it. In either case, the 12hp is not original. The 100 would have had a 10hp and the 70 would have had a 7hp.

Here's an excerpt from an early 70/100 brochure:

View attachment 149049

Here's an excerpt from a later 70/100 brochure. Note the seat's shown in this image were the optional deluxe seat. Also note that the steering wheel on the 100 is fancier and has a decorative center hub that covers the nut while the 70 has the acorn nut.

View attachment 149050
Awesome!! I appreciate all the info it’s been kind of confusing trying to figure it out since it’s not an original motor. Where would a model tag be? I found a tag on the bottom right of the rear diff case but it’s hard to read. Looks like it says 80/01 or 81/01

Back when that was built, around 1964 or so, the only model tag would have been the decal on the hood.

Welcome Andrew!
You got a winner there! One of my favorite cubs, if not my favorite of all. Don't make it a pulling tractor, that's what the wide frame cubs are for. :errrr:
Unusual looking dual wheel setup. Are they just bolted together? That may put a lot of stress on those rims. Looks to be original tires there. Great find.

Welcome, Andrew. Enjoy the forum!

Back