• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Cub Cadet Owner - HDS 3185 seeking info + tires

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgardner

displayname
Michael Gardner
Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to Cub Cadets. I just purchased a used 3185 Cub Cadet with an 18hp B&S engine that was a new tractor trade at an implement dealer. It only has 189 hours on it and other than a few dings looks to be in excellent condition.

Does anyone know information on this mower/tractor?

I do mostly mowing of a 1.5 acre yard, and some wagon hauling and aeration of my yard, spraying with a towable sprayer and towing a spreader for overseeding, fertilizing.

I have been using a Husqvarna that has given a couple of years of really good service, but the shaft drive deck and drive, plus a little bigger unit really appeals to me.

I have not done my first mowing yet as the dealer is servicing the tractor and deck and blades for me before delivery.

I think I got a good deal, and the price was right.

Some questions. The original tires are on the mower and look fine but I would like to replace them with 4 plys. The tires sizes listed in the manual are 24x10.5-12 in the rear and 16x7.5-8 in the front. Any sources for good 4 ply in those sizes?

Michael Gardner
Wichita, KS

Micheal, I buy almost all my tires from tiresunlimited.com. Great prices and fast shippers. They shipped me the wrong tire once and paid for pickup and replacement.

Just wondering why you want 4-ply tires on your cub. Do you have any idea how extremely diffcult they are to put on small rims, like the fronts on a Cub Cadet, for instance? Not to mention a rougher ride and maybe even worse traction because the tires won't conform to the ground like 2-plys will. If it were me I'd stick with what's on there. If that's how it was equipped at the factory, there's probably a good reason for it.

Michael G: Welcome to Cub Cadets, and welcome to the site
beerchug.gif

What kind of tread type/pattern are you wanting to get on the replacement tires?

I have 4 ply AGs all the way around on my 1250, and 1450...I couldn't tell you if they were a PITA to get on the rims or not...the local tire dealer I bought the tires from installed them as part of the deal. I don't notice any kind of a 'rough ride'...it's not like you are on the highway doing 65mph. And of course they are AGs...there is no such thing as 'worse traction'.
buttrock.gif

37007.jpg

If you put them on the old fashioned way with a pair of tire irons they are definitely a PITA. My dad got some used 4 ply lug tires for his Troy-bilt but he probably won't put them on...They're probably on split rims for a reason...

I really would like a mid tread. Somthing more aggressive in the rear than the Turf Pro (Carlisle) that came stock, but not a full ag tire. I know that is asking a lot. Any ideas?

M Gardner
bubbly.gif

Michael G.
You might try lookin at the bigger online tire dealers like Cedar Rapids Tire, or maybe even greedbay.

Thanks to all for the advice. Carlisle's site was great for calculating rim width, mounted width and height, etc.!

I just ordered the Turf Trac R/S from Cedar Rapids Tire. Their shipped price was about $10 less than Tires unlimited on the same 4.

The mounted height and width on the rear tires 24x12.0-12's compares very favorably to the stock Turf Pro 24x10.5-12's so I am anticipating no problems.

Turf Pro 24x10.5: Mounted Height 23.1 Mounted Width 10.6
Turf Trac 24x12.0: Mounted Meight 23.5 Mounted Width 11.0

We'll see how it goes. Just had a flat on the original 9 year old tires and I think it is a sign of things to come. I'll let you know how they work out!

Thanks again,

Mike Gardner

Michale,

How well did your new 24-12-12 tires work out for you?
I tried a set of 24-12-12 ag tread tires on my 3235 useing the factory rims and did not have enough clearance between the tire and gas tank to safely run the tires.
I also could not find a different set of rims with the correct back spaceing to widen the stance of the tires.

The 24x12-12's I ordered worked great. However, the lug tread in that size would not have cleared. When selecting tires the operative issue was the mounted WIDTH. Carlisle's website shows this clearly. As long as you select with an eye to that you'll stay out of clearance issues. Good luck to you!'

Michael Gardner

Back