• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New book

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittermankadets85

My copy came today. Can’t wait to read it.

Attachments

• 74F341F8-B580-4E2A-93A6-0F0A596F7610.jpeg
    74F341F8-B580-4E2A-93A6-0F0A596F7610.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 380
Steve - My copy of Corp. Tragedy was from the first printing too. And I kept getting copies of C.H. Wendell's 150 years of IHC, Christmas, birthdays. I passed one on to Bryan McMeen, was still wrapped in cellophane.
I expected " The Breakup" to be more about what was really happening between the dealers and the company. The dealers all needed help, and Mother IH's shelves were bare. Things like selling the prototype Super 70 2+2's, status of the full power shift 5x88's, and The articulated Magnum. Actually, the Red Tractor Book describes more of the business goings on in Chicago than anything else I've read. Our department was close to all the top manager's offices at Farmall, the rumor mill was very good too, but when I got laid-off my ready access to what was going on stopped. The Tennaco buy-out and Case & IH merger was a complete surprise. The company I drove semi for was Farmall's captive contract carrier, I stayed busy when FARMALL was running, and I got to see new towns and cities when they shut down and I hauled other "stuff".

Tradegy is a good book. It has caused me to pay more attention to the Farmall’s with only the name McCormick on them than other names. Not quite sure I have that timeline figured out yet. Not far enough into the book yet to see how Deere survived.

David, i too have a 1st edition of Tragedy. very interesting book. it covers from the start of old Cyrus up to the point of Tenneco Oil buying IH ag and merging w/Case. where i work we were a Case dealer since 1916 and still a CIH dealer today. i have been there for 40 years and at the time of the merger, we just hired a new store manager that was part owner of an IH dealer that did not continue, so i heard a lot from both sides at that time.

Dennis,
Just curious, who did you drive for and what time period was this?
Company name was Quad-City Spotting Service. Their yard/shop/office was on West River Drive, across the street from the cemetary. I started part-time and quickly ended up full time. Started mid-summer of 1982. Company finally closed late in 1984 or early '85. Guy by the name of John Bost owned the company. They did lots of local truck load cartage around the Quad-Cities. I ran Davenport to Chicago daily most of the time. Ran to their Kansas City, Mo. Yard a bit. I got dispatched out of KC to Olatha, Ks, picked up a load of BFG tires for Case Burlington, Iowa. I drove a truck without a sleeper bunk, if I had to lay over the company paid for my room. My personal WORST payday was hauling a 45,000# load of bagged wheat germ from Ralston Davenport to Ashton Foods, Ashton, I'll, about the 62? Mile marker on I-88, I made $8.49 for about 7-8 hours work.
I worked for a dipstick doing local delivery for almost a year before I started at Riverside Products Div of Sivyer Steel in Bettendorf. Started as clerk/expiditer and exactly a year later was promoted to Purchasing Agent. We built scrap metal processing equipment. Then I worked as a buyer at the Thermos Plant in Freeport, I'll for 2 years, bought parts and processes for drinking fountains and water coolers. Then worked 4-5 years at APV Crepaco in Lake Mills, Wis. Bought parts and processes for food&chemical processing equipment, INCLUDING the rocket fuel mixer used to mix an entire solid rocket booster for the space shuttle and eliminate the o-rings that failed on the Challenger. Then worked 3 years at Giddings & Lewis Machine Tools in Fond Du Lac, bought parts and processes. And then ten years at Pentair Water Treatment in Brookfield, Wi. Bought parts and processes for water softener valves. I did pedal packages for UPS out of the Milan, Illinois terminal in 1978 while on lay-off from FARMALL.

Back