• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Blades for a 127? Need Recommendation.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrennan

displayname
Mike Brennan
I have been disappointed for years on how quickly blades dull. Do any of you folks have a particular favorite. And, by the way do I turn the blade bolt counterclockwise to remove it.
Thanks
Mike

I have been disappointed for years on how quickly blades dull. Do any of you folks have a particular favorite. And, by the way do I turn the blade bolt counterclockwise to remove it.
Thanks
Mike
Buy good blades and that usually fixes the problem. ;-)
Blade nut is the same as every other nut or bolt on Cubs, Lefty loosey, righty tighty. (y)

I used to work for a commercial mowing crew. They had two sets of factory blades. We put on sharp blades every morning, and sharpened the take-offs every night. That was 35 years ago...oh crap it was more like 40. Not much has changed. Mow enough, and any blade gets dull.

I have seen people sharpen blades so sharp it looks like you could shave with them.. But if you buy a new set of blades they seem dull by comparison.. They say the best way to sharpen is to leave enough material on the edge to help support the edge and this helps keep it sharper longer.. I only use a hand file to sharpen and only take off enough material to get the sharpness I want.. Also use anti-seez paste on the threads of the nut thats holds the blade on as the grass is naturally wet plus if there is dew on the grass it can also add rust to the threads...

My experience,razor sharp is not good,it rolls too easy...Depending on where you live,you would be amazed at the amount of sand that is in your grass.It means your blades are a mini sand blaster.Us country folks with dirt roads have a real issue with blade wear...

try Meg-Mow system,
Longer Life
  • 8x harder steel than traditional blades
  • Minimal sharpening
  • Cutting knives pivot away from obstacles. No more bent blades or damaged spindles.

Latest posts

Back