• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New 125 owner

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody got happy with a drill on the 127. It did not have a pointer on it.
Still looking at the other pics.

The rubber grip on the handle is twisted sideways. You can unscrew the metal piece in the top, but be very careful that you do not wring it off. After carefully screwing it off, you can take it out and then get to the spring to see if it is broken. I would spray some PB blaster down in there before trying to screw it loose.
Here is a pic of where the hood pointer should be located. It is about 1 inch from the front of the hood.
DSCF0872.jpg

Also, where the screws are located:

DSCF0871.jpg

You checked the engine yet to see if it was painted? I hope you can see the serial #.
The pointer may just need to be turned around.

Nice machine! Looks to be in pretty good shape. Yes, the hood ornament is backwards, I can see it in your first pictures. Seems to be a common problem, it was backwards on my 70 too. You could see the faint indent of the original orientation in the hood surface. It is correct now!

You checked the engine yet to see if it was painted? I hope you can see the serial #.
The pointer may just need to be turned around.
I just checked the engine... there is no yellow paint under the black.

Also, tonight was the first time I actually messed around with the tractor since buying it. I have to perform a weird balancing act between the choke and the throttle to keep the engine going (hot or cold). It actually stalled on me and I had to use started fluid to get it running again. I notice that there is no inline fuel filter on my fuel system, is this normal?

Dumb question... is this tractor gravity fed? I do not see a fuel pump tied to the fuel line.

It is gravity fed. I noticed an after market fuel shut off peeking out from under the hood. The original style would have been a glass sediment bowl with an integral shut off valve.

Sediment Bowl-Shutoff_01.jpg

The shut off valve is the brass T handle just above the glass bowl in the photo above.

Sediment Bowl-Shutoff_02.jpg

The fuel line would be the brass tube as seen in the photo above. Photos are of one of my 125s.

It is gravity fed. I noticed an after market fuel shut off peeking out from under the hood.
Yes, there is a fuel shutoff between the tank and the carb. The engine runs when the valve is in the correct position, but I have to have the choke engaged and the throttle somewhere around the 1/2-way point. It stalls if I go too much or little throttle.

It is possible that the rubber fuel line is failing, check to see if it is actual "fuel line" or just rubber hose. I have seen rubber hose fail, even some rubber fuel lines fail. Could be failing and collapsing internally.

It is gravity fed. I noticed an after market fuel shut off peeking out from under the hood. The original style would have been a glass sediment bowl with an integral shut off valve.

View attachment 153629

The shut off valve is the brass T handle just above the glass bowl in the photo above.

View attachment 153630

The fuel line would be the brass tube as seen in the photo above. Photos are of one of my 125s.
Are these parts still available or only found on the secondary market? I actually like the way the fuel filter looks and the hard line.

C.C. Specialties, a forum sponsor, (see link at the top of the page), sells the sediment bowl (aka fuel bowl) parts, I don't believe that the hard fuel line is available new.

If you click the link below and scroll way down the page you should see the fuel bowl assembly which I believe is an after market one. A bit higher up the page are Kohler parts to refurbish an existing fuel bowl.

C.C. Specialties

fuelshutofflarge.jpg

As Kraig said, you will need a fuel filter on it. If anything finds it's way down into the carb, you will have more problems. That may be some of your problem now. Whatever is in the carb will get sucked up into the ports, causing poor fuel flow.
I would suggest you take the bowl off the carb after cutting the fuel off. This way you could check to see if there is any junk in the bowl.
There should be a brass fitting (looks like a thin nut) on the bottom of the bowl. This will need to be screwed out in order to remove the bowl.
You could place a clean metal can below the bowl while taking it off to catch any possible junk from the bowl. The bowl will be half full of gas, so be ready for that too.

As Kraig said, you will need a fuel filter on it. If anything finds it's way down into the carb, you will have more problems. That may be some of your problem now. Whatever is in the carb will get sucked up into the ports, causing poor fuel flow.
I would suggest you take the bowl off the carb after cutting the fuel off. This way you could check to see if there is any junk in the bowl.
There should be a brass fitting (looks like a thin nut) on the bottom of the bowl. This will need to be screwed out in order to remove the bowl.
You could place a clean metal can below the bowl while taking it off to catch any possible junk from the bowl. The bowl will be half full of gas, so be ready for that too.
Thanks, I will mess with it this weekend. I also have a few fuel filters and fuel line that I keep for spares for my JD and Craftsman tractors.

Bryan, welcome to IH Cub Cadet.com. there's hundreds of years of experience with these great little tractors amongst the members here. My CC history started the spring of 1963 on a brand new Original which was traded spring of 1965 for the #70 sitting out in the shop. The #72 with it I bought used about 1979, and the 982 I bought in 2000. So, I hope you have space for several more Cubbies, or put your Deere & Craftsman up for sale now. I mow with a Cub Cadet TANK zero turn. Hard to compete with a 27 hp V-twin running a 54" deck. My regrets is I didn't get the 60" deck my dealer wanted me to get.

Bryan, welcome to IH Cub Cadet.com. there's hundreds of years of experience with these great little tractors amongst the members here. My CC history started the spring of 1963 on a brand new Original which was traded spring of 1965 for the #70 sitting out in the shop. The #72 with it I bought used about 1979, and the 982 I bought in 2000. So, I hope you have space for several more Cubbies, or put your Deere & Craftsman up for sale now. I mow with a Cub Cadet TANK zero turn. Hard to compete with a 27 hp V-twin running a 54" deck. My regrets is I didn't get the 60" deck my dealer wanted me to get.
Thank you. I'm not too worried about space, I have 11+ acres, 3 Amish stables, and a 13x24 carport. I'll probably add a pole barn this summer as long as I can keep the overtime going at work... that said, I am worried about the wife finding out how much I spend on things! lol

Back