• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New 125 owner

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Morning, All,

I am new to the site as well as this tractor craze. I just picked up a running 1968 125 last week. It needs some work, mostly cosmetic. The oil spot under the tractor is from a different vehicle.

Bryan

Attachments

• CC125_rt.jpg
    CC125_rt.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 2
  • CC125_lt.jpg
    CC125_lt.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
It's outstanding that have a tractor that has been in your family as long as I have been alive.

I really wish my 125 had headlights, is this something I can modify or upgrade to?
Headlights are easy to add. The blank panel above the grill can be unbolted and a headlight panel bolted back in place. You will need to find a used headlight panel or I believe that reproduction versions are available.

Xtreme Motorworks sells reproduction headlight panels. Here's a link to the page, hopefully it works, scroll down to the "Headlight Mounting Panel- 72-125"

Xtreme Motorworks

Cub-Cadet-Narrow-Frame-headlight%20-Assembly.jpg

You'll also need the mounting rings, I'm not certain if there are reproduction versions of those being made, the original versions were cast aluminum. You could also place an add in the classifieds to see if anyone has a used panel complete with the headlight rings and possibly the wiring harness.

Here's what an original one looks like with all the parts

Light Panel.jpg

I think I would trim those long ends to the U-Bolt holding the lift bracket onto the lift arm first thing. They look long enough to rip your pants or tear into your boots.

153582-CC125-rt-a.jpg

I think I would trim those long ends to the U-Bolt holding the lift bracket onto the lift arm first thing. They look long enough to rip your pants or tear into your boots.

View attachment 153591
Yeah, I plan on going through the tractor and fixing things. I literally have to fight with the lift arm both up and down to get it to move. I also need to find whatever bracket goes under the seat, right now it's just a small piece of plywood bolted to the seat and the frame.

The original style seat bolted directly to the angle brackets that the plywood is bolted to. No bracket is missing, the seat is a later style.

Good Morning, All,

I am new to the site as well as this tractor craze. I just picked up a running 1968 125 last week. It needs some work, mostly cosmetic. The oil spot under the tractor is from a different vehicle.

Bryan
Welcome Bryan

There are excellent resources (sponsors)at the top for parts and accessories.

I have an original headlight panel with the rings for a 125 if you are interested. They have been sandblasted, primed, and painted with Case IH Irongard. I will take $100 for it plus actual shipping cost. All the panel needs is the decal.

View attachment 153595
Marty, that’s a great deal!

Bryan,

Sent you a PM.

You mentioned it was hard to lift the dozer blade. Are you pressing down the button on top of the lift handle when you raise it? Also, does it have a spring assist? This will be visible from the rear. If not, one would be a huge help in raising the blade.
Click on the CCSpecialties icon at the top of the page, and look for the title spring assist. There you can see what one looks like.

A few things I noticed about your 125:
The 125 looks pretty good for it's age. Very little rust, so it must have been stored in some type of shelter. Some scotchbrite, or fine steel wool and soapy water would make it look real nice.
Not sure what is going on with that hood pointer, but it needs to be turned the other way and closer to the front of the hood. There should be a hole closer to the front like in the pic that Kraig posted.
It appears someone tried to cover up some surface rust on the rear rims with white paint. A good sandblasting and repaint would easily take care of that.
I am assuming the engine is a replacement, since it is all black (unless someone painted it). The factory engine would have been federal yellow. That's no issue though, it is a newer engine with fewer hours. I can see where the starter/generator has been painted over.
Take care of those rear fender reflectors! The original reflectors are expensive and hard to find.

Nice tractor! (y)

Bryan,

Sent you a PM.

You mentioned it was hard to lift the dozer blade. Are you pressing down the button on top of the lift handle when you raise it? Also, does it have a spring assist? This will be visible from the rear. If not, one would be a huge help in raising the blade.
Click on the CCSpecialties icon at the top of the page, and look for the title spring assist. There you can see what one looks like.

A few things I noticed about your 125:
The 125 looks pretty good for it's age. Very little rust, so it must have been stored in some type of shelter. Some scotchbrite, or fine steel wool and soapy water would make it look real nice.
Not sure what is going on with that hood pointer, but it needs to be turned the other way and closer to the front of the hood. There should be a hole closer to the front like in the pic that Kraig posted.
It appears someone tried to cover up some surface rust on the rear rims with white paint. A good sandblasting and repaint would easily take care of that.
I am assuming the engine is a replacement, since it is all black (unless someone painted it). The factory engine would have been federal yellow. That's no issue though, it is a newer engine with fewer hours. I can see where the starter/generator has been painted over.
Take care of those rear fender reflectors! The original reflectors are expensive and hard to find.

Nice tractor! (y)
Thank you for the advice. Is there a way to tell if it's the factory engine painted black?

One sure way is to look and see if the Kohler ID plate has been painted over, or has overspray. You could also scrape a little paint off the engine, and see if there is some yellow underneath. I would bet there is also some yellow on that starter/generator.
The engine serial number will tell what year the engine was made.
I am also curious about the holes for that hood pointer. Is there still a hole closer to the front of the hood?

One sure way is to look and see if the Kohler ID plate has been painted over, or has overspray. You could also scrape a little paint off the engine, and see if there is some yellow underneath. I would bet there is also some yellow on that starter/generator.
The engine serial number will tell what year the engine was made.
I am also curious about the holes for that hood pointer. Is there still a hole closer to the front of the hood?

There are no other holes for the hood, but you can clearly see that the hood pointer is not original by the leading edge apparently being shorter than original.

Also, the lift handle is sort of beat up which makes it hard to depress the small button on the forward portion of the grip prior to engaging the top button. I believe that there is no spring either.

Attachments

• Lift_Handle.jpg
    Lift_Handle.jpg
    947.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Hood_Top.jpg
    Hood_Top.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Hood_Inside.jpg
    Hood_Inside.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back