• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New 108 is home.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dustin, you can check the s/g without mounting to see if they will spin..ground to case pos. to "s" ..maybe s doesn't show so NOT to field...if good should spin..lots of grass says there is probably a huge mouse nest in shroud and flywheel....j19 very common plug

Haha, soon. Motor and s/g pic. Just replaced fuel line and plug.

Attachments

• 292BCB1F-1B2A-408B-BB87-82D2FD3BCFE9.jpeg
    292BCB1F-1B2A-408B-BB87-82D2FD3BCFE9.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 77D7FF78-F784-4DA1-A88B-770C874F52B1.jpeg
    77D7FF78-F784-4DA1-A88B-770C874F52B1.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0
Hey guys, I noticed someone cut the wire that the arrow is pointing to. Any idea what that wire could be for?

Attachments

• 7D3D70FC-6790-4C9E-AB96-9BB40FB6405F.jpeg
    7D3D70FC-6790-4C9E-AB96-9BB40FB6405F.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 0
The black wire goes to the coil, they did away with the Gen wire at the A terminal and moved it to the starter side of the solenoid. That other thing is a nubble at the end of the wire harness loom, a nubble.

Can anyone tell me how to hook up the wires to the starter/generator? One terminal on the S/G reads "F" and I don't see any other markings. Sorry for my ignorance.

1658847601439.png

Doug beat me to it.

If you want to know, F stands for field. A stands for Armature.

Dustin, track the wire back to reg. that goes on field (f)..the other is obvious....I still suggest you try s/g before mounting ..see previous mess...the dia. shows the other post as "a", I've also see "S" and some have no mark..

Dustin, track the wire back to reg. that goes on field (f)..the other is obvious....I still suggest you try s/g before mounting ..see previous mess...the dia. shows the other post as "a", I've also see "S" and some have no mark..
I'm glad you suggested this. It doesn't spin when hooked up to a battery :(.

This s/g is in terrible shape. Hopefully, I can salvage some parts from the other one I got as part of the purchase.

Attachments

• BD5B0AA7-2AC7-4827-9A35-EB1C24C03CC6.jpeg
    BD5B0AA7-2AC7-4827-9A35-EB1C24C03CC6.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • A5AB1BF6-0E7B-4B01-B51E-6F7C20DC6B29.jpeg
    A5AB1BF6-0E7B-4B01-B51E-6F7C20DC6B29.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
  • CF415B10-4F2A-4AEB-B94A-DA35940A57EB.jpeg
    CF415B10-4F2A-4AEB-B94A-DA35940A57EB.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
Dustin, don't trash it ..the armature and fields might be good ..Try to find a starter repair shop to get an estimate of rebuild.Have to admit brush holders looking gone... but new is around 200...Any friends have an old cub you could borrow one from to test engine...don't follow my example ,bought one ,put it on and spent 30 mins before I figured it was going opposite direction needed...

Dustin - you gotta have it grounded when you test it. You can't just have it laying on a bench and touch the positive to the A terminal to see if it spins. Hopefully you're other one will work.

Well, the other one does work, but the frame is too short. I may try to switch the interior bits to the correct sized s/g.

Attachments

• 7B4B8289-B236-4F5F-8A3F-8F5272BF7B46.jpeg
    7B4B8289-B236-4F5F-8A3F-8F5272BF7B46.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
The shorter frame one might work for testing..If you cut a 3/4 pipe exact length of space and run threaded rod thru to hold it ..I wouldn't consider running it that way but you're "testing"...If you have upper adj. arm it should hold enough to crank over

This s/g is in terrible shape. Hopefully, I can salvage some parts from the other one I got as part of the purchase.
Looks lIke the brushes are missing. Check the armature for contInuity. If the armature is good you should be able to cleanup and rebuild the s/g. CC Specialties has the brushes and other parts to rebuild the s/g.

Okay, thanks. I transferred the good brushes over from the extra s/g (they are in excellent condition) and sanded the armature last night, but I'm getting only sparks when I connect it to a battery. The springs are in great shape and bearings are free. This seems like a pretty simple system, so I'm really unsure as to why it won't spin.

She now spins! I covered some exposed wire that goes to one of the brushes with electrical tape. It had been touching one of the two long bolt that keeps the units together. Then I moved the wire to stay away from the bolt. Finally, I moved the brushes a little bit. Will attempt to start the tractor at some point today if all goes well. Thanks for the help!

Back