• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need to re-power my 982 (dropped a cylinder on the Onan)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it's back in the land of the living!!!!!

Congrats Shultzie.

I actually had to go back and look earlier into the thread to figure out what the "HOOT" you were talking about with the "Aytay video" thing. LOL!
old.gif

FUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!!But I didn't say fudge.
angry.gif
bash.gif

Last night I was mowing for the first time in over a year with it. It was running great for about 45 minutes. I was even talking to it like "Hey nice to have you back "9"". Then it was like turning a switch and it started running like crap like it was running out of gas. So I choked it which made it worse, so I kept messing with the throttle turning of the PTO and then it finally died. So I'm out about 100 yards from the truck. I let it sit for a while and then I decide to get the 782 off the trailer to finish up. I went back to try to start it again and it fired up, but ran like crap again. Limped it toward the truck to about 40 yards out and it died again. So I finished up with the "7" and went to load it on the trailer and it ran, but crappy again. Got it loaded and got it home and tried to start it to get it off the trailer and it only "clicked" like the starter was trying, but that's all. So I rolled it off into the garage where it sits now.
So what the heck happened now??? This thing has me so ____ing pissed off I can barely see straight.
angry.gif

305148.jpg

Shultzie, bummer!
sad.gif
That sounds like how the Onan runs in my Allis Chalmers 620 when either the points go out of adjustment or when a spark plug fails. My Onan eats spark plugs for some reason and for a known reason, --> poor design <--, oil gets into the points box. I know you repowered the 982 with a Kohler but...
dunno.gif

Shultzie-
Two things...

Bummer...
bash.gif

Will it start now that it (and you) have cooled off?

If it does start, I would be HIGHLY suspect of either the coil or the fuel pump (or both) being bad. As these engines heat up, if either of those systems are "tired", it will usually manifest itself in a weak yellow spark or low fuel pressure. Based on the way you described things, ("I choked it and it ran worse") I'd put my bets on the coil-pack being bad.

Since the coil packs on these things are buried UNDER the flywheel, they are "not fun" to replace, but one way to get a sense of where things are with it are to look over the spark plug boots. If they are dried up, hard, and maybe even cracked, you can tell that the coil is pretty old and probably in need of a replacement.

Hope this info helps. Let us know how it goes and what you find.

What Art said...
The ignition module does weaken over time and will give a much weaker spark after it heats up, then it will stop working until it cools down. The "coil" is noted for that in many older units. If you have a spark tester you may want to test immediately as it is failing. The spark will become intermittent then quit altogether until the engine cools.
Sorry that you are having a rough go of it! You WILL win.

Brand new Kohler coil pack installed Sunday June 5, 2016.
The fuel pump is from the old onan.
1a_scratchhead.gif

I got home and fearing the worst I couldn't understand why it wouldn't turn over. So I got a pipe wrench and checked to see if the engine would turn over by hand. I couldn't get it to turn the correct way so I turned it the opposite way and it turned fine. So I try to start it again and it turned over until it got to where it was and stopped again. So I'm guessing it is junk and needs a new rod.
bash.gif

Anyone looking for a summer project?

Fuel pump failed or needle valve stuck open and filled one jug with fuel, hydro locked.

Probably ran bad because it was flooding out and getting rich (why the choke didn't help)

Is there gas in the oil?

Pull the plugs and see if it turns over by hand, then on the starter, but be ready for a spray of fuel

If you do turn it over with the starter with the plugs out, either do it outside or have something over the hole to deflect the spray of gas. I did not realize how much or at what force the gas would shoot out of the spark plug hole. Hit the bottom of the opened garage door and rained down everywhere. Glad I wasn't inline with the discharge trying to look into the hole.

Update:
I pulled the plugs and slowly turned the drive shaft and got a small "gas bath".
So I pulled it out in the driveway as Kevin suggested and let it blow gas all over. Kevin, thanks for the advice.
So our street fair is going on, so I don't really have time to mess with it now. This does make me feel better though.
I have an electric fuel pump on order and should be here mid next week.
Thanks guys! You rock!
worthy.gif

Great news Kent, glad that's all it was. Ironically, my next article in Cub Cadet Connection cover's this exact topic!

Make sure you verify the float and needle are ok as part of the repair process, dirt on the seat or a hole in the float will cause it to happen again if not corrected.

Glad she's mechanically sound, with no broken "big" parts!!!!

Got my fuel pump mounted & lines ran. I need to do the electrical now.
I also need to check the carb.
Slowly but surely.
whistling.gif

305496.jpg

I checked out the carb. tonight and it all looks good. I replaced the needle last fall so I don't think that would be the problem. Is there any way to replace the seat? It looks press fit in. The car parts place said one wasn't available. After checking the carb. I took the old fuel pump apart and the rubber thingy looked fine. (I can't spell diaphram) LOL
facepalm.gif

So should I put it all together and try it? If it fails again will I hurt it if it hydrolocks again?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Some detailed pics tomorrow morning.

Use the electric pump and don't look back. Make sure float "floats".

Do any of you know how to test a Kirk Engines Dual coil? I have a similar problem as Schultz. My 782 seemed to be dropping power while mowing. So I pulled the carb and cleaned it. Now as I try to adjust the carb it just seems to backfire. After reading some of your comments I made me think it could be the coil. I have an electronic fuel pump and point saver as well from Kirk Engines on it. That's for any help.

Steve,

Did the points slip? If it's backfiring that's usually an indication of bad timing. Re-time it to be sure.....

Update:
I got the fuel pump hooked up and it is now a running tractor again.
buttrock.gif
I plan on mowing with it tonight. (weather permitting)
Steve, I have a question about the pump.
How does the automatic shut off work?
Do I need to worry about shutting the gas off every time I turn the engine off? I didn't put the fuel shut off valve back on because I thought it was not needed. Am I correct?
1a_scratchhead.gif

How it works? can't answer....just know it's spec'ed with automatic shut off and check valve......

If you really wanted to belt and suspenders it, you could always add a 1/4 turn valve between the pump and carb, right on top of the engine.

Glad she's back!!!!!

Back