• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need to re-power my 982 (dropped a cylinder on the Onan)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy to say that I mowed with it last night for about 2 hours. I was worried the whole time. It did hic-up a couple of times, but that might have been due to going over a couple of big bumps. We'll see when I mow with it next week.
Until then, thanks for all the help guys!
305763.jpg

Good news.....

Float may be set a little high...sometimes that causes them to "gulp" some extra fuel on bumps.

Well I've finally calmed down enough to say I have yet more bad news. Yeah, I'm pretty much done with "9".
I tried to mow in town Saturday and it wasn't even 5 minutes and I threw a rod.
bash.gif

What is it with this thing?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Well my son Jackson and I went on a road trip today.
(since it's my birthday and all) LOL
Now I normally don't smoke....but....
buttrock.gif

305993.jpg

305994.jpg

Oh no! Say it ain't so! I haven't figured out which series is in my 782 yet so I was reading with intent in case I needed to do an engine swap. Smoking isn't that bad...

Sorry to hear about the 9 going down again. Make sure it finds a good home. Someone will fix it again.

You'll be MUCH happier with the D. It sips fuel, and the power steering is worth is weight in gold. Now I'm even more jealous! I need diesel power in my shed.

Shultzie, I'm wondering about using an OHV engine. I've had limited experience, using in a buddy's zero turn mower. Seems to have plenty of power, 23 HP I think. Is this an option you may consider(using an OHV engine in general)?

Your 982 is a very nice tractor!

Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions and waking up this old thread again.
I decided to go the cheap route again.
err.gif

I plan on picking up an 18 Magnum Saturday to stick in there.
I just hope I'm not opening up the ugly can of worms again.
feint.gif

Well I headed down to Wabash and looked at the engine.
Of coarse it was sitting outside with no hood. The guy tried to start it and it turned over slowly. He seemed surprised as he said he had it running a few weeks ago.
While he was tinkering with it I decided to check the oil and it was bone dry. Right then I decided to run away before I did something crazy.
So now I'm still in the market for a Mag20 or Mag18.
I'm not in a big hurry, so I'm sure something will come along.
whistling.gif

Good thing you checked the oil.
happy.gif
I wonder if he added oil after you left?

Does anyone know how well a Kohler Command will fit in the "9"? Has anyone done it?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Like a glove..... I did my 782 and love it. Plan on doing the 2072 as soon as I find a good price on a CH750. The best part is all the parts bolt-together, very little custom work.

I'll get some more; this is the only one I could find in short order.
313637.jpg

I got a 782 from Mike a couple Plow Days ago and the engine from that ended up in my 682, and the rest went under the knife for a complete refurbish. New paint top to bottom and added some goodies.

As for the Command swap, just about 100% of the parts, engine plate, exhaust, heat shield, come from the 1863/1864/2084/2284. The engine I got was from a 2206, and used half of the driveshaft.

From memory, the only parts I needed to modify was cutting an inch from the front of the exhaust heat shield, trimming back the exhaust outlet (and removing one bar from the grille), and the driveshaft.

Its rock-solid reliable. Though I completely went through the 782, it is as much of a daily-use tractor as ever. Even with the Wheatland, 2072, and 682, this is always my go-to unit (basically anything that doesn't require a cat-0 hitch). It sips fuel too, it easily uses 3/4 of the fuel that the KT17 (now M18) does in my 682.

Wyatt,
Good to know. Does the electric hook up like a Magnum? I know I had to do something different because of the Onan that was in it. Of coarse now it has the Mag. in it.

The electric is different, but not terribly so. If you check out the 1863(and similar) wiring diagrams you'll see they both use a 5-contact wire harness (usually a Packard 56 connector) that you might just have to re-pin if you had a Magnum in there before, assuming said Command still has that connector (or was in an application that had one).

I always make new harnesses myself, as it takes almost about the same amount of time as troubleshooting an unknown harness, but if you've got one you're familiar and confident in, you shouldn't have much for issues.

OH... one more thing- the air cleaner.

You'll need to completely remove the back of the air cleaner cover that faces the firewall so that you can get the air cleaner off. Its some pretty resilient glass reinforced nylon, but it cuts easy and cleans up with a sanding disc. Can't even really tell it's cut when it's all together.

I haven't tried the larger Donaldson-style cannister, but when the 2072 gets a Command transplant, that's the style I plan on going with.

I should let you guys know that throughout the Command engine lifespan, there were over 107 varied engine wiring harnesses. Yes, I know, sounds unbelievable to me also. I worked at Kohler and endured all the complications. Engine spec # determines this.

So it is very possible that an engine from a donor tractor may cause you confusion, always try to look online for the wiring diagram from the OEM.

One constant is the WHITE "kill" wire and of course you all know to NEVER apply 12v to this wire!! It is a "ground to kill" wire.

Back