• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need to re-power my 982 (dropped a cylinder on the Onan)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kshultz

displayname
Shultzie
Last night mowing I heard a loud bang and a puff of smoke out the front. Limped it to the trailer and checked the exhaust and the left side seemed fine, but the right was dead.
So now I'm told it would be better to stick a Kohler Mag. 20 in.
I guess my question is where and how much should I expect to pay.
First off my Cub funds are at about 30¢.
a_weep.gif

Maybe I need to swap one of my other Cubs?
Well I just need some input from you guys.
Thanks!
....and there it sits.
296705.jpg

Shultzie,
Just throwing what I have done in the past. I put a mag20 in my brothers 982. it is a very easy task. all you need is a relay for ignition. bolts right in. I would say if you had the mag20 already sitting there you could have it changed out in running in about 4hrs if that long. I understand about the money so you may have to park it until funds are there. I may have a rod and other parts if you want to fix what you have. drop me a email if you do.

Is there a certain Mag. 20 model I need to be looking for? Newer, older???

Not to my knowledge. my brother bought a well hammered 2072 that had a 60inch deck with a good engine. So that's what I used. Maybe someone else will know for sure

I have a box of used parts from a v-twin, not sure which model though.
I believe there are both jugs and heads.
If Ya want I can take a look and see just what all is there and maybe I.D. the model.

Josh would know what it was as I acquired it from him with a bunch of other stuff.

Spring for the shipping and Ya can have it all FREE.

Else it will probably wind up in the next car My son hauls to the crusher, that is if the price ever comes back up!!

How bout a 26hp Honda motor?I have one out of a 2072 that I parted,I think it was a Small Engine Warehouse kit.

It should it came out of a super
I think it is still on the mounting plate

Dave,
That is a KT-17 series II. IIRC, the jugs and heads were fine. Crank needed cleaned. Advertise 'em. Someones looking for parts. Wouldn't work for this application though.

Thought I did the same thing to my 2072/982 this evening mowing with the 60" deck. Turned at end and all of a sudden big white cloud of smoke.......BUT no bang or hammer.... Shut it down to find a puddle of hytran on the deck and a blown power steering hose......deck belt had flung oil onto the muffler.

It will cost me replacement hoses and a mule drive belt, but a heck of a lot cheaper than my first thought....."there goes the Mag 20, just like Shultzie..."

Shultzie,

To answer your question, you could certainly use one from a 2072 or like, but you more likely to find a cheaper one in a cyclops model. I got my Mag 20 and Haban deck from a 2064 that a guy didnt know what he had. I bought the running tractor complete for $300.

I also just recently parted an 1864 that I bought for $250. (I used the Mag20 and GT power steering to upgrade my 782 similar to Steve's.)

I still have the running Mag18. I wish you were closer, I'd let you put it in your 982 and worry about the $$ later. Keep an eye in C/L. I look everyday, only takes a few seconds with the saved "cub cadet" search on my iPhone app.

Good luck, sorry to see the awesome rig just sitting.

Shultzie,

If all that has broken is a rod.
Buying a engine gasket set (or just the minimum needed) and getting an "used" old style rod may be the cheapest way to go. Assuming you have the basic rebuilt tools and a ridge reamer. Two new style rods will be about $180.

I am not sure but you may only need to remove the oil pan and head on the cylinder with broken rod. Assuming thats the only problem. I would tend to disassemble most of way, inspect for debris and other possible damage.

I have to perfectly good old style rods I will never use and won't ever likely sell. You are welcome to both if you wish to pay shipping.

Buying a used engine is always crap shoot IMHO.

Jim

Hoses replaced this am......crisis averted. (Still not bear as bad as a broken rod.....good luck kent!)

Jim P.
If I do get a wild hair up my @$$ and tear into the Onan, does the block split like the KT-17's or is it one piece?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Nic,
I'll keep my eye out on CL for another doner Cub Cadet with a Mag. 20 in it.
Thanks.
Keep up the input!
snacks.gif

The block is one piece casting, less the oil pan.

296790.jpg

This is the top view from the flywheel side. You can see the intake & exhaust ports, valve spring/lifter boxes. The front bearing plate is also shown.

If I'm not mistaken a rod can be replaced just by removing the oil pan, cylinder head, unbolt the rod cap and pull the piston/rod assembly out. You would need a cylinder ridge reamer.

If you ever have any questions drop me an email I don't always check the forum regularly.

Jim

According to the manual section the 982's had an Onan model B48G.

What's the difference in that and a model N52M?
Both are 19.9 hp.

The B and P series are very similar. A B48G is almost the same as a P220. The valve stems, guides, spring retainers are smaller on a P series. I have noted when getting B series parts the P is also listed, I have rarely seen N52M listed. There is likely common parts, but you would need to look up at a part by part basis.

Jim,
Thanks.
I guess why I'm asking is I may have found an N52M. Will it just drop right in my 982?

I get my Onan parts from onanparts.com.
TJ the owner operator, who is fishing until June 21st, might be able to tell you more than I can.

I did some looking on the interweb and the short block part #'s are different, and along with many other parts.

What you would really need to know is the front pto B series end of the crank the same as the N52M. The N52M sits sideways in the Sears GT and therefore has no drive shaft hookup. Would the B series flywheel fit the N52M?

To answer your question will it drop right in, does not seem so.

Could it work? Likely yes, just how much would have to change to make it work.

If the N52M is free, no cost to you, what does it hurt to try. But, any $$ used to purchase N52m, might be best to go toward B48 repair or direct drop in replacement. Like a Kohler KT or Magnum.

Pull the b48g and remove the oil pan and see what you need to fix.

Jim

Back