• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need to re-power my 982 (dropped a cylinder on the Onan)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the carbs. on the 18 & 20 Mags. the same?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Yes. at least the ones that I have were. They both had a #54 stamped on the inside. I have 2 Mag20s and a Mag18.

Although, the needle seat is not replaceable in those carbs, so the needle still leaked on mine. I swapped to a #26 Kohler carb. Because the #26 came off a single cylinder, I had to swap over the butterfly linkages.

Thread appears to be about Mag18/Mag20 carbs but the title is need to repower my 982??? According to my 1872/2072 owners manual, it appears that the 1872 (mag18) could come with a Kohler carb that has both low speed and high speed screws. I found one on a mag18 and rebuilt it using the standard Kohler kit for a #30 single carb. This Carb even had replaceable seat. The 2072 (mag20) is supposed to have a walbro carb with only a low speed screw. Looking at the carb from the Mag series, it appears you could substitute a #26 or #30 carb on these engines if you changed out the bufferfly shaft from a Mag carb. Anybody ever done this? Nic? Big Steve?

I use KT17 carbs on the Mag motors. On the 20hp you may have to enlarge the main jet slightly (anything more than 2-1/2 turns out and it's basically a fixed jet carb.....)

Steve,

do the KT carb rebuild kits use the standard single cylinder Kohler rebuild kits that cost around 12 dollars? I priced one rebuild kit for a mag engine and the cub dealer told me 54dollars!!!! I would probably buy one of those knockoff china carbs on the interweb before rebuilding one of those....

Can any of you tell me if a Front PTO can be re-built for a 2072 with a Mag 20 and a 1 1/4 crankshaft?

The armature seems to be shorting out.

Any help is appreciated. Used, new, rebuilt?

Thanks guys.

You mean the field coil, right? That is the electrical portion of the clutch.

If so, that is the part of the clutch that is not unique to a 2072. Part number is 759-3300 and there appear to still be some new ones out there for about $230.

Used clutches for the 18 hp tractors should be plentiful, which will have the field coil in common with yours.

If you are adventurous, the field coil could be rewound. I have seen it done once. You'd have to figure out what gauge of enameled magnet wire and how many feet, and come up with a jig to rewind it.

Back