• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need help where to start troubleshooting. Cub Cadet 125

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klarson

displayname
Kevin larson
I had my CubCadet 125 running last year and it just quit. Won't turn over. I can jump the starter to turn the engine over but nothing. The box toward the front, voltage regulator??, Was crispy...ordered a new one. Don't want to install and fry it. How should I go about the troubleshooting process? Is there a good step by step source? I have some ability but electrical can stump me, mainly don't want to damage anything.
Thanks for any help,
Kevin

Welcome Kevin! You have come to the right place. I suspect you will soon hear from a photo-collecting 125 expert or several.

If you click the Forums tab above, then choose the IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum from the technical forums, there is a thread entitled "Roland's Fancy Colored Wiring Diagrams" ( linked here: Roland's Fancy Colored Wiring Diagrams ) just a few threads down from the top. Scroll down that thread to the diagram for Models 72, 104, 105, 124, and 125. Roland used the color of the wires where he could, so you should have little trouble finding the right wires. Follow the voltage. Start at the battery, and see where you have voltage. Check continuity of wires. You'll get through this, and you may find a problem or two before they escalate to the point of frying a voltage regulator.

In addition to what Jim wrote, I just added a little bit of info on the voltage regulator that Roland had made, to the thread with his colorful drawings. It's way at the bottom of that thread. Here's a link that should take you right to it:

Roland's colorful voltage regulator info.

The voltage regulator has nothing to do with starting only charging.. I would start with the simple things like cleaning your wire connections from your battery to your starter gen.. If it started last year and does not now you could have a ground wire corroded from sitting.. Clean + and - wires on both ends first..Also starter gen connections..

OP says jump the starter and nothing.... how do you meen "nothing" it wont turn over or it does turn over but wont start..??
if it wont turn over when you bypass all and touch 12 volts to the starter it self.. 2 things. bad ground. should be rite under the bracket holding the starter.. or the starter is in need of brushes or its toasted.
pull the wires off the 2 terms on the starter . put the neg jumper cable rite on the round end cap of starter/gen. so you know you have good ground.. then tap the gen term outter bolt thru case... spark ? turns over? doesnt turn over ?
spark is good ground then. spark turns over. good ground. now take bolt out for ground and clean and replace.
doesnt turn over but sparked. rebuild brushes and such ..
its what i would do..

i could be wrong.. if i am please correct me.

If the voltage regulator shorts out internally it could effect the starter operation.

IH_Electrical_057_a.jpg

I would disconnect the battery, roll the engine over by hand to cycle the points to discharge the coil, then check the continuity of each wire in the harness using an ohmmeter. If this tractor has set out in the rain at all over the years, moisture can wick up into the wires and cause corrosion far from the ends of the wire. The ends might look good but internally they can be bad. If the wires all check out then you can look at other parts. I believe you should be able to leave the voltage regulator out and have the starter turn over. That might be a good next step. Just make sure that the wires don't short out on anything. If the starter turns over then connect the regulator. Did the voltage regulator get "crispy" before or after you jumped it to try starting it?

Wow...thank you guys...this really gave me some confidence to get back at it. Electrical has always stumped me a bit...It's Saturday and I'm going to try a few of the suggestions...I will report back. I'm going to print out the wiring guide. Talk to ya soon. Oh...to Ken Black...when I applied some volts to the starter it turned over. When I turn the key nothing,no click, nothing. The voltage regulator was burned up so I picked up one from the I Save Tractor site.

Back