• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need help on selecting an SGT model.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbranstetter

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Brian Branstetter
Ok, this is probably a simple question for most but what models of sgt's should I consider? I'm finally in a position to shop for some new iron and I wondered if anyone had some opinions. I'm mainly interested in some thing to mow and attend plow days with. Gas or diesel would be ok.

The question really is... What do YOU want?

You may spend years finding the exact tractor that you seek and then it's a matter of whether it is for sale or not. (BTW, everything is for sale) Diesels will hold a premium, IH 982's also tend to go for top dollar. Cub Cadet Corp Supers can be had relatively cheap depending on condition. The price of Accessories can kill you and ruin a perfectly good marriage.

Brian Branstetter

If I were you I would get a diesel , it will have resale value when you are done with it. It will have cost much less for fuel to run it. I have a 1512 diesel and I don`t mind the smell of diesel fuel and I find it a great working tractor that burns less than half what my 149 would use for gas ,fuel . the diesel has bags of torque for my 450 snow blower.I would pull on a diesel super if I could find one.
Shift.gif

I wouldn't mind having a diesel but I've found only a few. I have found several reasonable yellow and white sgt's and a couple with Kubota 3cyl gas motors. How good are there 3 cyl gas varieties?

Brian, the 3-cyl Kubota gas is smooth and strong, but gulps gas compared to the 3-cyl diesel, or to a lesser extent, the 18/20 Mags or Onan. Don't have any experience with the newer CC SGTs (2284, etc.)

I would love to have a big 9 but those are apparently made out of gold, not the iron and steel that I was lead to believe. I know that attachments are pricey but a mower deck and a three point conversion option are my only real requirements. The three point being covered by some of our fine sponsors.

I really want some bigger equipment so my girls can plow and not struggle with steering, spin out and implement lift, as much as on our 122. It would be great to have an sgt for the wife to run and a 782 or some thing a little smaller to train the youngest daughter on as she gets older. Guess I'm just thinking out loud now. Thanks for all the input.
smile.gif

I have 2 1882's with 50" decks and a pair of 2284's with 54" decks and a 982 with a 60" deck. I prefer the Magnum motor over the V type Command motor. The 982 with the Onan motor is great too. It didn't have power steering and I found it quite difficult to turn with the big 60" deck on it. I found a dealer who had a power steering kit that would fit it and had him put it on. It cost me almost as much as I paid for the tractor but it was worth it. Maybe it is just the 2 tractors that I have with the Command motor in them but they do not run as smooth as the Magnum motor tractors. I also have had several other SGT models in the past including 2 diesels. The diesels do have a ton of power and run silkie smooth on less than half of what it takes a gas motor to do. My advice to you is to find an older model tractor with the metal front end on it and the Magnum motor. I think that you will be happy with it.

Back