• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

need front tires

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen bentley

I am just starting on my 124 I recently bought. One front tire has a slow leak. They both look to have some dry rot. I was going to try to put a tube in that one. But think if it is not to exspensive I should get a set of new ones. The rims don't look to have much rust. Any recommendations on tires, it has the 16x6.5-8. I will pay someone to mount them. Is it cheaper to buy these tires they sell on rims already if so are they cheap crap compared to what I have. My area I will be riding in is most always wet sometimes muddy.

I am just starting on my 124 I recently bought. One front tire has a slow leak. They both look to have some dry rot. I was going to try to put a tube in that one. But think if it is not to exspensive I should get a set of new ones. The rims don't look to have much rust. Any recommendations on tires, it has the 16x6.5-8. I will pay someone to mount them. Is it cheaper to buy these tires they sell on rims already if so are they cheap crap compared to what I have. My area I will be riding in is most always wet sometimes muddy.
Miller gets my vote.

https://www.millertire.com/

I install tubes even in new tires. My experience has been that even new tires begin to leak within a short period of time. Also on rears I don’t run more than 7-10# of air. For better traction
Don't buy china made tires and you don't need tubes.

Vredestein V-61's would be my choice.

DSCF0439.JPG

CHARLIE - MY TANK CC zero turn came on all brand new Carlisle tubeless tires, I haven't read the fine print on the sidewall but put it in the garage after mowing that first afternoon. Next morning I walk into the garage to go outside and the TANK is listing to Starboard. ( right) I ran it 3-4 years airing up the tire every time before I mow. I DID buy a tube, one of those cheap off-brand imported things from Blain's Farm & Fleet, haven't put it in, BUT it's not leaking near as much.
But NEIL is exactly correct, I know for a fact the tubeless tires we used at FARMALL LEAKED, roughly 5% leaked, that included the 2 sizes of large rear farm tractor tubeless tires in both 6 & 8 ply, R-1 & R-2 tread. Except for the tubeless fronts and the 15.5x38 and 18.4x34 tubeless we got inner tubes installed with a bit of air installed to hold the tubes in place, we kept a variety of tubes to fix the teeny-tiny fraction of a percent of tube-type tires that we pinched a tube installing them and had to repair them. Same exact thing goes on at Deere Horicon, they get between 2 to 4 flats a day. SEEN THEM myself.
My 70 & 72 both still have the Louisville Factory installed Good-Year frt 4.00/4.80x8 tires ribbed tires, not sure about the 70 but my 72 blew one tire sitting in the shop one night, about half in two. I glued a boot, vulcanized cord reinforced tire casing repair patch and pretty sure I put a tube in. But both the 70 & 72 will get new frt tires, just not sure what brand, I'd like Vredsteines, but I have more shopping to do. The ONLY things with tubeless tires here anymore is all 4 tires, I think, on my Pronovost dump trailer, 18-8.50x8 Carlisle's, my CC ZERO TURN, and wife's car and my pickup. In my opinion, ANY tubeless tire that runs less than 15 mph should have a tube in it. Tires that run over 15 mph can stay tubeless.

I have four Garden tractors, a snow blower, and a yard cart. ALL have tubeless tires, and range in age from new to 37 years old. None have issues with losing pressure. Proper bead prep and skilled installation is critical to long term sealing. Yes, say no to cheap Chinese rubber.

When I had my craftsman, all the tires started leaking about 1-1/2 years after I bought it new. I would pump them up every time I needed to mow. Eventually they got so bad that I would have to stop and put more air in the fronts before I finished. Bought tubes from the local tire shop and put them in. The owner told me to clean up the inside of the rims with a wire wheel and then line them using electrical tape before putting the tubes in. After that they never leaked in the remaining 5 years I had it.

1811CUB - You obviously have some devine intervention going on with the tires on your yard equipment. The factory stock tires on a 70 & 72 Cub Cadet were 4.00/4.80x8 Good-Year front and 6-12 Good-Year turf tires, I call them Pizza-cutters. And at around 37 years old the front tires on both my 70 & 72 ripped big holes in themselves, blew out both the tire and the inner tubes. I've had several blow out actually. Sitting still with no load. I never really have any flats from nails. I was grading with my belly blade on the 70 several years ago, approx 2010, 6-12 pizza cutters, had the chains on, was rolling a pretty good windrow of dirt off the blade and I heard Rush of air escaping, left rear tire buckled and ripped a big hole in the sidewall. I had the 6-12's off the #72 in the shop, quick tire change, and wheel weight change and I was back to work, made sure both rear tires had 10 psi.
These older Cub Cadets have just outlived the shelf life of some of their parts. I did notice M.E. Miller has 6-12 FIRESTONE 23 degree lugged tires in stock this morning, I'm going to buy a pair! I've found FIRESTONE tires live longer without the rubber deteriorating. And I have everything to mount them myself. And Miller delivers to some tractor shows.

Carlisle Tru Power ag tires are available in 6-12 if you like ag tires.
I have had my 23x8.50-12's on my 128 for thirteen years and they are still in excellent shape. They are just like they were when new, except for some wear from lots of use. I bought five sets of 6-12's for my "pizza cutters" :errrr:

Ordered my 6-12 Firestone ALL Traction Field & Roads yesterday. MILLER has THREE tires left. I might actually see them today all the way from Ohio. The 23-8.50x12's I bought for PD#1 were two of the last three Firestone had in inventory. When I ordered my 26-12.00x12's they had plenty of them. Miller Tire has approval from Firestone to have these made. Miller even had new molds made for 23-10.50x12's, Firestone never made that size in All Traction F&R.
The two tractors I've had them on I've mowed my yard hundreds of times with them. And a place a turf tire slips it tears up your turf, those lugged tires will not slip, no damaged turf, no bare spots. Wish I could get a pair of 24-12.00x12 for my zero turn. It spins the rear tires all the time.

I got my wheel back with the new tube installed. Didn't fit right being a rookie I noticed it looks like it needs a bearing there or a spacer. I looked at my parts manual. YUP needs a bearing I ordered 4 from ebay I will install all new ones next weekend. I will wait on any new tires until I have her up and running. Going on to other issues see my next thread steering wheel removal.

Back