• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My sixth..a 1984 682

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1811Cub

displayname
1811Cub
Got it cheap, and it was 1/2 hour away. All disassembled, but mostly there. I will be replacing the blown KT17 Series II with a Magnum 18 that I had sitting in my basement. Nice original paint and decals.

682.jpg
6822.jpg
6823.jpg

Attachments

• 6821.jpg
    6821.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 19
As I was looking at your pics, I was reminded of the headlights I replaced on my 1450. You ever swap out the originals for PAR36 LEDs?...if not, I definitely would in all your Cubs...difference is literally night and day.
BTW, nice little fleet you got going on there.
👍😎👍

Last edited:
As I was looking at your pics, I was reminded of the headlights I replaced on my 1450. You ever swap out the originals for PAR36 LEDs?...if not, I definitely would in all your Cubs...difference is literally night and day.
BTW, nice little fleet you got going on there.
👍😎👍
Thank you. While the LED's make sense, since the charging systems in these are barely adequate for normal usage, I don't like the looks of them. The LED bulbs just don't look right to me. I'm one of those strange ones that notice the small "GE" logo in the original bulbs. In fact, I found a NOS GE headlight bulb at Carlisle last week that ended up in the 782D, since one of the original bulbs had been changed and did not match the other.

Yes, it is the original aluminum housing unit. Some of the early MTD/CCC tractors received the cast iron rears until stock was used up. Some of the early tractors after the takeover had the "International" script dashes, IH steering wheel cap, and had body color axles and dash towers like the last of the IH built units. They were using up old parts stock. Since mine is a 1984, well after the switchover, it has black tower and plain dash and steering wheel cap.

I am working on this specimen at the moment for this 682. It is a 1986 Magnum 18 that originally was in my 1811. When I purchased the tractor, it ran beautifully, but other than idle, you could not control the engine speed. I found a low hour M18, and just replaced the engine instead of digging into it. So this sat in the basement for about two years.

Anyway, last night I split the block, and low and behold, look what was chewed up and sitting in the bottom of the engine block:

m183.jpg

I'm waiting on the OEM Kohler gear, and a gasket set to get this puppy back in operation..

m18.jpg

m182.jpg

Upon reassembly, the cam and crank will need to be properly phased. The factory overhaul manual is vague on this and this is a critical step. The image is not very crisp. Anyway, does the crank have to be in a certain rotation when lining up the dash mark on the crank, and the small hole on the cam gear?

Still waiting for the gov gear, but I re-rebuilt the Sunstand hydro unit. The previous owner rebuilt it with new bearings and seals, but upon reassembly, he put the directional control lever on the wrong side of the unit. So not trusting his work after such an elementary mistake, the entire unit was torn down and inspected. Fortunately, the only other thing that was suspect was the original input shaft seal. I had one in the parts cabinet, so that is done.

hydro2.jpg
hydro .jpg

Mine is a 4 speed and only 45k actual miles.

View attachment 149497
Good golly - Miss Molly!

I'd drive the wheels off that. Had a '78 4 speed and was shocked by its performance even with the nay sayers poo-poohing everything after 1970.

Never added a part for performance and never felt it lacking. Used to absolutely SCREAM all over the Monterey peninsula and near-by environs when I was at language school. One of the fun things to note was that it handled even BETTER with three other friends on-board.

Back